Apr 22, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Technically, however, Cooke isn’t a “repeat offender” under the current CBA because he hasn’t been suspended within the past 18 months, and that’s causing some confusion after he kneed and seriously injured Colorado’s Tyson Barrie last night, earning a disciplinary hearing with the NHL as a result.
It’s expected Cooke will be handed a lengthy suspension for last night’s incident. And the league believes it has the right to consider his entire playing career in making its ruling.
In other words, according to the NHL, Cooke’s checkered past is NOT wiped clean just because he’s not a “repeat offender” under the CBA.
Well, here’s what commissioner Gary Bettman wrote last year in rejecting Patrick Kaleta’s appeal: “The ‘repeat offender’ status applies only for purposes of calculating lost salary.”
What’s he talking about there?
He’s talking about this section of the CBA:
Bettman also referenced in the Katela appeal the section of the CBA that states, “Players who repeatedly violate League Playing Rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.”
And the commissioner wasn’t done there:
Granted, that’s just the league’s side of the argument. PHT has emailed the NHLPA asking if the union agrees with the NHL’s assertion that a player’s entire history can be taken into account when suspending him, whether he’s a “repeat offender” under the CBA or not.
If we receive a response, we will update the post.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)