Apr 22, 2014, 12:12 AM EDT
All it took was one lucky break for the Chicago Blackhawks. Or one mistake by the St. Louis Blues.
Jonathan Toews scored the winning goal early in the first period and the Blackhawks went on to earn a 2-0 victory over the Blues in Game 3 of that best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final on Monday. The Toews goal came off a wrist shot from the slot that, at first glance, appeared to go off the stick of St. Louis defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk and through the legs of goalie Ryan Miller.
Nope. Instead, the puck just went straight in. In a low-scoring game, it was exactly what the Blackhawks needed to help get back into this series. They still trail the Blues 2-1 in that aspect.
Miller, who made 23 saves on 24 shots, lamented the Toews goal afterward.
“It’s not a good goal … leave it at that,” said Miller, as per Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Meanwhile, the goalie at the other end, Corey Crawford recorded his third career Stanley Cup playoff shutout, making 34 saves.
“I thought it was a great response and tremendous effort by him,” said Blackhawks’ head coach Joel Quenneville, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)