Apr 22, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Awarded annually to “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” the Byng has been dominated by St. Louis recently, as he’s won three of the last four trophies and been a finalist in eight of the last 10 seasons.
This year, though, St. Louis should have some stiff competition.
Marleau played in all 82 games this year and averaged 20:31 TOI, yet racked up just 18 penalty minutes all season long. There was no drop-off in his offensive production, either, as Marleau scored 30 goals for the seventh time and finished second on the Sharks in scoring, with 70 points.
O’Reilly’s lack of penalty minutes was even more impressive. He was whistled for just one minor penalty all season, joining Butch Goring (1977-78, Los Angeles) as the only players ever to receive two or fewer PIM over 80 or more games. Like Marleau, O’Reilly also had a stellar offensive campaign, scoring a career-best 64 points while leading Colorado in goals, with 28.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)