Apr 22, 2014, 11:23 AM EST
Awarded annually to “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” the Byng has been dominated by St. Louis recently, as he’s won three of the last four trophies and been a finalist in eight of the last 10 seasons.
This year, though, St. Louis should have some stiff competition.
Marleau played in all 82 games this year and averaged 20:31 TOI, yet racked up just 18 penalty minutes all season long. There was no drop-off in his offensive production, either, as Marleau scored 30 goals for the seventh time and finished second on the Sharks in scoring, with 70 points.
O’Reilly’s lack of penalty minutes was even more impressive. He was whistled for just one minor penalty all season, joining Butch Goring (1977-78, Los Angeles) as the only players ever to receive two or fewer PIM over 80 or more games. Like Marleau, O’Reilly also had a stellar offensive campaign, scoring a career-best 64 points while leading Colorado in goals, with 28.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)