Apr 22, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Awarded annually to “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” the Byng has been dominated by St. Louis recently, as he’s won three of the last four trophies and been a finalist in eight of the last 10 seasons.
This year, though, St. Louis should have some stiff competition.
Marleau played in all 82 games this year and averaged 20:31 TOI, yet racked up just 18 penalty minutes all season long. There was no drop-off in his offensive production, either, as Marleau scored 30 goals for the seventh time and finished second on the Sharks in scoring, with 70 points.
O’Reilly’s lack of penalty minutes was even more impressive. He was whistled for just one minor penalty all season, joining Butch Goring (1977-78, Los Angeles) as the only players ever to receive two or fewer PIM over 80 or more games. Like Marleau, O’Reilly also had a stellar offensive campaign, scoring a career-best 64 points while leading Colorado in goals, with 28.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)