Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
It’s no Messier guarantee, but Flyers captain Claude Giroux did put out the following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers:
Claude Giroux: “We’ll be ready for Game 4. We’re going to tie up the series and go back to New York.”
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) April 23, 2014
The second part of that statement will come true — win or lose in Friday’s Game 4 at Wells Fargo, Philly will head back to MSG for Game 5.
As for the first part? For that to happen, the captain will need to step up.
The NHL’s third-leading scorer during the regular season — with 86 points — Giroux has been quiet through the first three games of this series, failing to score a goal while notching just a pair of assists. What’s more, it took Giroux until Game 3 to register his first shot on goal, and he only finished with two as Philly fired a grand total of 32 at Henrik Lunqvist on Tuesday.
Another thing Giroux and the Flyers will need to improve? Power-play efficiency at Wells Fargo. The Flyers, who ranked 25th in home power play this year, went 0-for-5 and could only muster four shots with the man advantage — a dramatic dropoff from Sunday’s win at MSG, when the club scored twice on the power play.
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 29
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7