Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
It’s no Messier guarantee, but Flyers captain Claude Giroux did put out the following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers:
Claude Giroux: “We’ll be ready for Game 4. We’re going to tie up the series and go back to New York.”
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) April 23, 2014
The second part of that statement will come true — win or lose in Friday’s Game 4 at Wells Fargo, Philly will head back to MSG for Game 5.
As for the first part? For that to happen, the captain will need to step up.
The NHL’s third-leading scorer during the regular season — with 86 points — Giroux has been quiet through the first three games of this series, failing to score a goal while notching just a pair of assists. What’s more, it took Giroux until Game 3 to register his first shot on goal, and he only finished with two as Philly fired a grand total of 32 at Henrik Lunqvist on Tuesday.
Another thing Giroux and the Flyers will need to improve? Power-play efficiency at Wells Fargo. The Flyers, who ranked 25th in home power play this year, went 0-for-5 and could only muster four shots with the man advantage — a dramatic dropoff from Sunday’s win at MSG, when the club scored twice on the power play.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)