Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
It’s no Messier guarantee, but Flyers captain Claude Giroux did put out the following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers:
Claude Giroux: “We’ll be ready for Game 4. We’re going to tie up the series and go back to New York.”
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) April 23, 2014
The second part of that statement will come true — win or lose in Friday’s Game 4 at Wells Fargo, Philly will head back to MSG for Game 5.
As for the first part? For that to happen, the captain will need to step up.
The NHL’s third-leading scorer during the regular season — with 86 points — Giroux has been quiet through the first three games of this series, failing to score a goal while notching just a pair of assists. What’s more, it took Giroux until Game 3 to register his first shot on goal, and he only finished with two as Philly fired a grand total of 32 at Henrik Lunqvist on Tuesday.
Another thing Giroux and the Flyers will need to improve? Power-play efficiency at Wells Fargo. The Flyers, who ranked 25th in home power play this year, went 0-for-5 and could only muster four shots with the man advantage — a dramatic dropoff from Sunday’s win at MSG, when the club scored twice on the power play.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)