Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
It’s no Messier guarantee, but Flyers captain Claude Giroux did put out the following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers:
Claude Giroux: “We’ll be ready for Game 4. We’re going to tie up the series and go back to New York.”
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) April 23, 2014
The second part of that statement will come true — win or lose in Friday’s Game 4 at Wells Fargo, Philly will head back to MSG for Game 5.
As for the first part? For that to happen, the captain will need to step up.
The NHL’s third-leading scorer during the regular season — with 86 points — Giroux has been quiet through the first three games of this series, failing to score a goal while notching just a pair of assists. What’s more, it took Giroux until Game 3 to register his first shot on goal, and he only finished with two as Philly fired a grand total of 32 at Henrik Lunqvist on Tuesday.
Another thing Giroux and the Flyers will need to improve? Power-play efficiency at Wells Fargo. The Flyers, who ranked 25th in home power play this year, went 0-for-5 and could only muster four shots with the man advantage — a dramatic dropoff from Sunday’s win at MSG, when the club scored twice on the power play.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 47
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)