Flyers need to ‘be patient’ and ignore fans on the power play

Apr 22, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

PHILADELPHIA, PA - NOVEMBER 01: Claude Giroux #28 of the Philadelphia Flyers instructs teammates Jakub Voracek #93 and Scott Hartnell #19 during a stoppage in play against the Washington Capitals on November 1, 2013 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Capitals went on to defeat the Flyers 7-0. (Photo by Len Redkoles/NHLI via Getty Images) Getty Images

How can the Flyers have such a good power play on the road (25.2 percent during the regular season), but when they get the man advantage at home they’re so ineffective (15.1 percent)?

Well, obviously, it’s their fans’ fault.

From CSN Philly:

Team captain Claude Giroux has said this many times about the power play, and he’s dead on: “The fans get on us pretty hard at home.”

“We have to be patient,” Giroux said. “We forget to stick with what we do. We’re a patient power play and we wait for opportunities. We can’t rush it. We need to go back and play our power play.”

Just so everybody’s clear, the Flyers aren’t actually blaming their fans; Jakub Voracek made sure to clarify he was kidding after joking, “It’s a little harder when 19,000 people yell to shoot after 20 seconds on the power play.”

What they’re saying is they need to block out the noise. After all, there isn’t a team in the NHL that doesn’t get urged to shoot the puck on the power play when at home. The fans in Philadelphia are just a bit louder about it maybe.

The Flyers went 2-for-3 with the man advantage during Sunday’s 4-2 over the Rangers. On the road.

1. ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Flyers fans that will be at the game tonight: this is the team telling you to STFU while they concentrate. take notes, PLEASE.

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Hey! Here’s an idea. Flyers should fill up the WFC with the loudest fans to create a game like environment and practice their PP. Or maybe get into a line brawl. How about just sucking it up, stop the whining, and overcome the pressure of being a professional athlete? Geee!

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM

it seems to me that you’re putting words in their mouths based on this article existing. not only were they just answering reporters questions (again! this piece was basically just revised from a month or two ago), they were joking.

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I don’t think these comments imply that this team doesn’t want their fans in the WFC going crazy, they’re just being truthful about the home PP. We are hard on our athletes in this city, especially when we believe they’re not doing all they can to succeed. The arena will be loud tonight and these comments will do nothing to deter the fans from making noise; don’t think the Flyers want us sitting on our hands.

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

You think? Added coach Craig Berube: “When you are at home, there is more pressure to perform with fans and all. We’ve got to make sure we are being simple first of all and not forcing things.”

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM

“phillyphanatic77, did you not call me an annoying troll or a complete joke a couple of days ago?”

it’s crazy how often you’re TRYING to start or restart fights on here.

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Not trying to start a fire. I think he was out of line, and if he thinks that, then he shouldn’t reply to my comments.

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I’ve said worse things to you. you want me to stop replying too?

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM

LOL! True. But at least we let the dust settle before re-engaging. You know! Like one would do with his wife. ;-)

• upper90cheese - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM

4ID is full of clowns

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Have you not called yourself a “hockey genius” or “one of the greatest minds in the game” recently? Bc I thought those comments were beyond absurd, doesn’t stop you from commenting and trying to impose your self-proclaimed genius on us all. It’s pro hockey talk right? That’s what you said, that’s what I’m talking about.

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM

It’s all in good fun, but for some reason it irks many. You one of them. People are too serious, and I only fire when fired upon.

• drewsylvania - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM

If you’re trolling the whole time, Joey, is it not time for a banhammer?

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I agree drew. You should be banned. Most times you just provoke people and post off topic comments. Sounds like a troll! Keep your comments aligned with the topic and/or the comment. That would be much appreciated.

• petersteelewannabe - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM

What if the beer vendor is nearby? ☺

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM

as long as his name isn’t “Boo,” you should be alright.

• malkamania71 - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM

please ignore joey4id. He’s only here to start fights

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Hey! Are you looking for a fight? :-) Hahahaha!

2. hockey412 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

This entire article just made my day :)

• 7mantel - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I guess it doesn’t take much to make you happy !

3. joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM

What a joke? These professional athletes being paid millions of dollars to perform find that there is too much pressure playing in front of their fans. What happened to home ice advantage? Wow! Where is the mental toughness they mustered up to rise from a 1-7-0 start?

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

well, they were 24-14-3 at home, so there’s that.

but I don’t see how this is unlike the NFL in a way. when the home team is on the field, the fans shut up. it’s a pretty well-known fact that it helps the team concentrate. when your own team is booing you while you have the puck, you may have your mind on something other than the play at hand.

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

The fans in the NFL stay quiet when the QB is going through the snap count to prevent any false starts. Not the same at all.

Hey! Get back to work….

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM

that’s not the solitary reason.

if you say a Philadelphia-loud arena wouldn’t throw off your concentration just a bit, you’ve got a brick house for a brain.

if the fans aren’t why they suck on the PP at home, what do you propose is the reason for a 10% difference in PP based on venue?

4. phillyphanatic77 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM

It’s not like it’s not accurate… I’ve been to plenty of Flyers games and we fans certainly urge them to be quicker with their PP opportunities. There’s usually a huge groan or plenty of “shoot” calls if there isn’t one in the first 10 seconds. But they also have a tendency to be too patient sometimes and go for the perfect play, instead of throwing it on net and letting Hartnell or Simmonds clean up the garbage. I like it best when it’s Timonen throwing a low shot on goal from the center point and they get the double screen down low.

Home ice and crowd noise need to be an advantage tonight. An early goal for the Flyers could be huge, just as an early NY goal could be brutal, especially on the PP.

• 7mantel - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM

You could be describing the NYR power play !

• joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

It happens to every team in the NHL. Are they really making a thing out of this?

• 7mantel - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I don’t think the players are but the media is a different story !

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM

^^^

that’s the ticket. this isn’t the first time they’ve made an article over this same storyline.

5. 19to77 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Like literally every other team that has a respectable fanbase? Tell me more about how Rogers Arena sounded during the power play this year, Brough. The Canucks used to be oh-so-good at that whole man advantage thing once upon a time, after all.

6. gbart22 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

No more a joke than the San Jose sharks athletes saying the weight of the cloth used for the shoulders and other striping on the jersey was slowing them down.

7. kastout11 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I am a Philly native and die-hard fan of all Philly teams, except the Sixers. Who really cares about baskeball anyway, especially during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Most of us Philly fans are unreasonable and G is absolutely right. I can understand booing when they are 0 for 4 on the power play and not getting anything done, but if you notice, the booing will start if they are unsuccessful or ineffective on their first PP. No patience in the stands at all. I understand tickets are not cheap and you have purchased the right to boo, but do you really think that helps or motivates the Flyers? Let me help you out. NO. If anything, it makes them press even more. They are facing one of the best penalty killing teams in the league and arguably one of the top 5 goaltenders in the world. Cut them some slack.

• macgrubie - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM

agree completely but it’s just the nature of the beast. You want passionate fans, then you have to expect the negatives (high pressure, drunk idiots, etc).

I personally hate hearing all the people who have played yelling “shoot” during PP’s but they pay for the whole show….

8. mercyflush - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Last season the Flyers were #3 overall in PP % (21.6).

On the road they were 16.3%.

At home they were 27.8%. That was the #1 home power play in the NHL for the season.

I guess the players did a better job of ignoring the fans last year, as compared to this year.

Or, this whole discussion is stupid. It’s either one or the other.

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:57 PM

yeah but that’s a team that wasn’t making the playoffs from the start.

= less pressure

• mercyflush - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM

This year’s team wasn’t making the playoffs from the start either. In fact it had the worst start in the history of the franchise.

• ibieiniid - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM

yeah, I misconstrued my point there I think.

lemme put it this way: how often do you see teams with a top-10 PP booed at home while they’re sitting in playoff position and not losing ground? I think that’s pretty Philly-specific. I don’t think it’s too much to ask the fans to let the boys do work on the PP un-distracted after that crazy turnaround they treated us to. if they don’t score on the PP in this home set, back to voicing our concerns. but if it helps the team, I’m sure the fans would be OK with it.

• killerpgh - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I think every team boos their power play unit. The Penguins finished the year with the NHL’s top PP and I would say the PP unit got booed/scream at to shoot at every game I went to this year.

“Fan” is short for fanatic. Fanatic is defined as a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm. Nothing should make anyone think most fans are reasonable.

9. bombaywasahawk - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM

“It’s not the fans, stop embelleshing” – Mats Zuccarello

10. whammy71 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Go Rangers!

Got my fingers crossed there will be an Army of butt-hurt Cryer fans tonight!!!

• bombaywasahawk - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM

You cross your fingers over butt-hurt dudes? C’mon bro. Calm down.

11. patthehockeyfan - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM

This has to be one of the funnier posts I’ve read on PHT.

Like the “Flyers wanting to ‘punish’ McDonagh” article last week, Brough has stirred another hornet’s nest. At least the subject of this post (“Shhhhhhh! We’re on a power play.”) is a little less serious.

I think I p*ssed off one of my favorite commenters (ibieiniid) in that McDonagh article last week. Offering apologies once more, ibie.

For the record, I attended the LA Kings @ Flyers game a few of weeks ago (while wearing a Kings’ baseball hat). The Philly fans couldn’t have been more polite. Well, they could have bought me a beer … :)

• jimeejohnson - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

You’re lucky to be alive.

12. bigdong28 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I’ll be there tonight & Friday…went to many games this year. I am loud & always cheer on my team…even boo if they deserve it. BUT I NEVER YELL SHOOT…I always here fans doing that & laugh cause it’s ridiculous. We know this team knows how to SHOOOOT on the power play so why do the fans seem to think they know better or that maybe G or Voracek will hear you & think “oh yeah, I’m supposed to shoot right” & then score…how many times that happen? Get loud, support your team BUT don’t tell them what to do…get on the ice & produce in the playoffs if you feel like you have the right to tell them when to shoot.

13. yougotgirouxed - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I will be at the game and I will yell at them to shoot every time I think they need to shoot. I will also cheer when they score and will definitely knife anyone I see in a blue jersey.

Joking…not really..;)

14. flyboystransport - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Three times the flyers had a 5 on 3 and didn’t get a shot off because instead of taking an open shot they elected an extra pass. Go flyboys!!!!

15. matt14gg - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Bruins had a historically bad power play in 2011 and won the Cup. The joke by the end was that they should decline the penalty. The point is if you’re bad in one area you need to make up for it in another. That’s the essence of a team’s “style” of play. Some teams are physical (Bruins) some are super skilled (Wings) and some are super fast (Habs). You just have to be true to what you are and be GOOD at it. There are a lot of teams with good power plays that suck and have no chance to win the Cup.

Overall the Flyers are still pretty good and if they can get decent goaltending (something they haven’t had in a LONG time) they are still a very good team and a threat to go on a run as long as they stay true to their physical style.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Bruins had more than decent goaltending. I wouldn’t visit the kook but I am a fan of Tim Thomas’ contribution to the Bruins last Stanley Cup. They don’t win without Tim.

• matt14gg - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Absolutely, but if you really analyze the Bruins run that year (esp. the Montreal and Vancouver series’) it was the Bruins physicality that wore teams down. Vancouver was dominant early, but the Bruins physical game took a toll and the Bruins were the better team at the end of each series as a result.

Timmy was historically good, but if you simply watch the tone of each series, it changed dramatically in the latter games…and I think we can all agree the power play was painful to watch throughout.

16. killerpgh - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Maybe they should just play this right before every power play.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Or serve free cheesesteaks AND show the video. Right, Elmer!

• kneary47 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Eventhough Talbot is a Cup hero in Pittsburgh, seeing this made me wish he was still in Philly. He’s so much better than that crook stealing paychecks, Steve Downie. It was like trading Upshall for Carcillo all over again. Our 3rd/4th line would be way better with Max in orange.

17. westof1club - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Seems to me even Flyers’ players think their fans are a pain in the ass…

18. President Charles Logan - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Joey4id>>>>>>>>Blomfeld

we all know you’re the same person , the same … well… clown

Reactions from NHL trade deadline