Doughty wants to play more than 23 measly minutes

Apr 22, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Two Getty Images

Kings defenseman Drew Doughty wants to play more, and he didn’t like when his coach, Darryl Sutter, dressed seven blue-liners for Sunday’s 7-2 loss in San Jose.

“I think everyone gets out of rhythm when you dress seven D,” Doughty said, per the Los Angeles Times. “I only played 23 minutes. It’s like the lowest I’ve played in, who knows how long. I want to be playing 28-30 minutes. I didn’t like it too much. But it’s not my decision. Whatever they decide as a team, I just have to go along with it and accept it.”

Perhaps sensing he’d overstepped his bounds, Doughty added he’d be “totally fine” if Sutter went with seven D again tonight, but clearly he’d prefer to be out there more for Game 3, particularly with the Kings down 2-0 in the series.

Will Doughty get his wish?

Well, it doesn’t look like Sutter addressed the defense with reporters this morning, but you have to wonder if Matt Greene will be a scratch tonight. After being left out of Game 1, the big 30-year-old played 13:23 of Game 2 and finished with a team-worst minus-4 rating.

Doughty, meanwhile, was a plus-1 in Game 2.

“I can play 40 minutes if they really want me to and I’ll be fine,” said Doughty. “I want to play every single second out there but I understand that. It’s just not possible. We just need everybody to step up a little bit more.”

1. joey4id - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM

40 minutes is a bit much, cowboy. But, 28 to 30 minutes is fair for the #1 d man of any team. Top player on TB is not happy with his TOI, and nor is Drew, and their respective teams are down 2-0 and 3-0. Hmmm! Coincidence perhaps, but crème de la crème players have to play more.

• pfhockey - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I don’t think I’ve heard Hedman complain about his ice time. He’s the youngest d-man on the team and the top 4 are getting identical minutes. I agree though. He already leads the team in TOI but I think he should get 25 mins a game.

2. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM

The guy spends more time whining and crying in the official’s ear more than he does playing so what does it matter. He didn’t get the nickname Pouty Doughty for nothin folks.

3. csilojohnson - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Has anyone seen blom?
    Someone must have some insight on Quicks meltdown.
    Or at least an Elvis video to put everything into perspective for us.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM

He posted last night (see link below). Haven’t seen him anywhere else today.

4. jb8588 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I’ve always sensed that Doughty is an arrogant selfish turd and this shows it. The only thing I agree with him on is how seven D is stupid in general.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Dewey is a premier defenseman. His play is brilliant. That he’s accepted the Kings’ style of play (less offense from defensemen) speaks volumes about his character and his will to fall in lockstep with the coaching decisions.

You most likely didn’t see him open it up as part of Team Canada in the Olympics.

I don’t know how his expressing a desire to play more makes him an arrogant selfish turd. He’s excellent at what he does and wants to do more of it.

5. antkowiak666 - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM

He wants more time on the ice so he can run over Quick atleast twice this time:)

6. mellard1121 - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I love doughty , great player and everything you could want in a d-man but the sharks look deadly and I think kings are all done they might win 1 game this series but that’s it

Top 10 NHL Player Searches