Apr 22, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Kings defenseman Drew Doughty wants to play more, and he didn’t like when his coach, Darryl Sutter, dressed seven blue-liners for Sunday’s 7-2 loss in San Jose.
“I think everyone gets out of rhythm when you dress seven D,” Doughty said, per the Los Angeles Times. “I only played 23 minutes. It’s like the lowest I’ve played in, who knows how long. I want to be playing 28-30 minutes. I didn’t like it too much. But it’s not my decision. Whatever they decide as a team, I just have to go along with it and accept it.”
Perhaps sensing he’d overstepped his bounds, Doughty added he’d be “totally fine” if Sutter went with seven D again tonight, but clearly he’d prefer to be out there more for Game 3, particularly with the Kings down 2-0 in the series.
Will Doughty get his wish?
Well, it doesn’t look like Sutter addressed the defense with reporters this morning, but you have to wonder if Matt Greene will be a scratch tonight. After being left out of Game 1, the big 30-year-old played 13:23 of Game 2 and finished with a team-worst minus-4 rating.
Doughty, meanwhile, was a plus-1 in Game 2.
“I can play 40 minutes if they really want me to and I’ll be fine,” said Doughty. “I want to play every single second out there but I understand that. It’s just not possible. We just need everybody to step up a little bit more.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)