Apr 22, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne “underwent successful surgery to the core muscle of his left groin” today, according to New Jersey president/general manager Lou Lamoriello.
A rehabilitation period of eight to ten weeks is expected, though whether Fayne remains a member of the Devils is uncertain. The 26-year-old is an unrestricted free agent who had four goals and seven assists in 72 games this past season.
Fayne was a fifth-round draft pick of the Devils in 2005. A product of Providence College, his most recent contract paid him $2.6 million over two years.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)