Apr 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
There are plenty of numbers Jonathan Quick can’t be happy with through the first two games of L.A.’s opening-round series with the Sharks — his 7.20 GAA and .824 save percentage chief among them.
But there’s another stat he’s likely also displeased with: Two.
That’s the number of times San Jose tough guy Mike Brown has sent a Kings player colliding into Quick and, prior to tonight’s Game 3, Brown suggested those collisions weren’t by mistake.
For the second straight game, Brown shoved a Kings player into Jonathan Quick, this time sending Tyler Toffoli flying into the crease in the first period.
“That’s the way I have to play. I didn’t think he was next to the goalie,” Brown said of the play. “I think Quick just fell back. Nothing intentional. I obviously want to get in and kind of rattle him, but it was nothing intentional. Just playing the hockey game.”
Here’s the first incident, when Brown pushed Slava Voynov into Quick:
And here’s the second, the aforementioned Toffoli shove:
Couple things worth noting here: 1) Brown was penalized for the Voynov incident, but didn’t get anything for the Toffoli play.
2) Brown, along with fellow fourth-liners Raffi Torres and Andrew Desjardins, have been causing as much havoc offensively as they have with their physical play, combining for three goals and six points over the first two games.
3) The Kings insist that, despite the physicality and lopsided scores, they’re not being frustrated by the Sharks…yet.
“We all knew it was going to be a physical series. Chippiness, it’s part of it,” Anze Kopitar said.
He rejected a question as to whether San Jose had gotten under Los Angeles’ skin.
“I don’t think that’s the case,” he said.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)