Apr 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
There are plenty of numbers Jonathan Quick can’t be happy with through the first two games of L.A.’s opening-round series with the Sharks — his 7.20 GAA and .824 save percentage chief among them.
But there’s another stat he’s likely also displeased with: Two.
That’s the number of times San Jose tough guy Mike Brown has sent a Kings player colliding into Quick and, prior to tonight’s Game 3, Brown suggested those collisions weren’t by mistake.
For the second straight game, Brown shoved a Kings player into Jonathan Quick, this time sending Tyler Toffoli flying into the crease in the first period.
“That’s the way I have to play. I didn’t think he was next to the goalie,” Brown said of the play. “I think Quick just fell back. Nothing intentional. I obviously want to get in and kind of rattle him, but it was nothing intentional. Just playing the hockey game.”
Here’s the first incident, when Brown pushed Slava Voynov into Quick:
And here’s the second, the aforementioned Toffoli shove:
Couple things worth noting here: 1) Brown was penalized for the Voynov incident, but didn’t get anything for the Toffoli play.
2) Brown, along with fellow fourth-liners Raffi Torres and Andrew Desjardins, have been causing as much havoc offensively as they have with their physical play, combining for three goals and six points over the first two games.
3) The Kings insist that, despite the physicality and lopsided scores, they’re not being frustrated by the Sharks…yet.
“We all knew it was going to be a physical series. Chippiness, it’s part of it,” Anze Kopitar said.
He rejected a question as to whether San Jose had gotten under Los Angeles’ skin.
“I don’t think that’s the case,” he said.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22