Apr 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
There are plenty of numbers Jonathan Quick can’t be happy with through the first two games of L.A.’s opening-round series with the Sharks — his 7.20 GAA and .824 save percentage chief among them.
But there’s another stat he’s likely also displeased with: Two.
That’s the number of times San Jose tough guy Mike Brown has sent a Kings player colliding into Quick and, prior to tonight’s Game 3, Brown suggested those collisions weren’t by mistake.
For the second straight game, Brown shoved a Kings player into Jonathan Quick, this time sending Tyler Toffoli flying into the crease in the first period.
“That’s the way I have to play. I didn’t think he was next to the goalie,” Brown said of the play. “I think Quick just fell back. Nothing intentional. I obviously want to get in and kind of rattle him, but it was nothing intentional. Just playing the hockey game.”
Here’s the first incident, when Brown pushed Slava Voynov into Quick:
And here’s the second, the aforementioned Toffoli shove:
Couple things worth noting here: 1) Brown was penalized for the Voynov incident, but didn’t get anything for the Toffoli play.
2) Brown, along with fellow fourth-liners Raffi Torres and Andrew Desjardins, have been causing as much havoc offensively as they have with their physical play, combining for three goals and six points over the first two games.
3) The Kings insist that, despite the physicality and lopsided scores, they’re not being frustrated by the Sharks…yet.
“We all knew it was going to be a physical series. Chippiness, it’s part of it,” Anze Kopitar said.
He rejected a question as to whether San Jose had gotten under Los Angeles’ skin.
“I don’t think that’s the case,” he said.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)