Apr 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Curious development out of the Colorado camp today — the Avs recalled Joey Hishon, the 17th overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, up from AHL Lake Erie and floated the possibility of him making his NHL debut in Game 4 against Minnesota.
Roy said he will evaluate Hishon at practice tomorrow to decide whether to put him in the lineup for Game 4 or not
— Adrian Dater (@adater) April 22, 2014
Hishon, a former OHL scoring sensation that scored 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound, was taken ahead of the likes of Nick Bjugstad, Beau Bennett and Riley Sheahan at the ’10 draft, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
Should he draw in for Game 4, Hishon would be making his big-league debut in a pressure-filled situation. The Avs have now gone 90-plus minutes without scoring on Minnesota goalie Darcy Kuemper and will be without offensive defenseman Tyson Barrie for the remainder of the series — he’ll be replaced by Ryan Wilson, Colorado announced on Tuesday.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)