Apr 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Red Wings’ oldest player will sit tonight as their opening-round series with Boston shifts to the Joe.
Alfredsson, 41, has struggled at times during this series, playing just 12:14 in the Game 1 victory over the B’s and 17:03 in Sunday’s 4-1 loss. The veteran Swede has no goals, no assists, no points and no shots on goal thus far, suggesting he’s far from 100 percent.
Andersson, 25, could provide a spark for a Detroit team that looked flat in the aforementioned Game 2 defeat. He was a solid contributor last postseason — five points in 14 games, playing over 13 minutes a night — and is coming off a regular season in which he posted a career-high eight goals and 17 points.
The rest of head coach Mike Babcock’s lines remain unchanged aside from Andersson’s insertion. Pavel Datsyuk will still man the top unit between Johan Franzen and Justin Abdelkader, while Riley Sheahan is the center on the No. 2 line between Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist. Drew Miller, David Legwand and Luke Glendening are on the fourth line.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)