Apr 21, 2014, 5:33 PM EST
In Keith Yandle, the Phoenix Coyotes have one of the best power-play quarterbacks in the league and a blueliner that can make things happen offensively, but it comes at a price.
The 27-year-old defenseman hasn’t been nearly as effective without the puck, which is part of the reason why he ranked dead last in Phoenix with a minus-23 rating.
“There’s always that risk-reward factor in it,” Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said. “With Yands, his power-play play this year went to another level, went to a level we hadn’t seen before. He took a responsibility for improving our power play and a leadership role and did a very good job.
“That being said, his defensive play is still — it’s inconsistent.”
Yandle acknowledged that he has room for improvement defensively, but he also feels he’s already gotten significantly better. Meanwhile, trade rumors will continue to swirl around him as the Coyotes look to make changes after missing the playoffs for two straight seasons.
He has two campaigns left on his contract at an annual cap hit of of $5.25 million.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)