Apr 21, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
If the Stars are going to win their first playoff game in six years, they’re going to have to do it without one of their most important defensemen.
Brenden Dillon will miss tonight’s game at American Airlines with what’s believed to be an injured foot, per the Dallas Morning-News. It’s the third straight playoff game the 23-year-old has missed, and his absence was noticeable as the Stars fell behind two games to none in Anaheim.
Dillon scored 17 points in 80 games for Dallas this year, averaging over 21 minutes a night (third on the team) while leading all skaters in hits (168) and finishing second in blocked shots (149). Without him in the lineup, the Stars have just seven d-men available and relied on a six-man unit Friday: Alex Goligoski, Trevor Daley, Sergei Gonchar, Kevin Connauton, Patrik Nemeth and Jordie Benn, the latter three all in the midst of their Stanley Cup playoff debuts.
Dillon’s absence has resulted in a hefty workload for Goligoski and Daley especially — Goligoski played 27:25 and Daley 24:10 in Game 2.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)