Apr 21, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
If the Stars are going to win their first playoff game in six years, they’re going to have to do it without one of their most important defensemen.
Brenden Dillon will miss tonight’s game at American Airlines with what’s believed to be an injured foot, per the Dallas Morning-News. It’s the third straight playoff game the 23-year-old has missed, and his absence was noticeable as the Stars fell behind two games to none in Anaheim.
Dillon scored 17 points in 80 games for Dallas this year, averaging over 21 minutes a night (third on the team) while leading all skaters in hits (168) and finishing second in blocked shots (149). Without him in the lineup, the Stars have just seven d-men available and relied on a six-man unit Friday: Alex Goligoski, Trevor Daley, Sergei Gonchar, Kevin Connauton, Patrik Nemeth and Jordie Benn, the latter three all in the midst of their Stanley Cup playoff debuts.
Dillon’s absence has resulted in a hefty workload for Goligoski and Daley especially — Goligoski played 27:25 and Daley 24:10 in Game 2.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)