Apr 21, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
If the Stars are going to win their first playoff game in six years, they’re going to have to do it without one of their most important defensemen.
Brenden Dillon will miss tonight’s game at American Airlines with what’s believed to be an injured foot, per the Dallas Morning-News. It’s the third straight playoff game the 23-year-old has missed, and his absence was noticeable as the Stars fell behind two games to none in Anaheim.
Dillon scored 17 points in 80 games for Dallas this year, averaging over 21 minutes a night (third on the team) while leading all skaters in hits (168) and finishing second in blocked shots (149). Without him in the lineup, the Stars have just seven d-men available and relied on a six-man unit Friday: Alex Goligoski, Trevor Daley, Sergei Gonchar, Kevin Connauton, Patrik Nemeth and Jordie Benn, the latter three all in the midst of their Stanley Cup playoff debuts.
Dillon’s absence has resulted in a hefty workload for Goligoski and Daley especially — Goligoski played 27:25 and Daley 24:10 in Game 2.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)