Apr 21, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Three head coaches on three high-profile teams that missed the playoffs have yet to receive a vote of confidence or, failing that, official word that their services are no longer required.
Adam Oates, Randy Carlyle and John Tortorella all faced extensive criticism this season in Washington, Toronto, and Vancouver, respectively. The Caps missed the postseason for the first time since 2007, the Canucks for the first time since 2008. The Maple Leafs suffered an epic collapse, winning just twice in their last 14 games. Suffice to say, expectations for all three teams were considerably higher.
Granted, not all the situations are the same. The Canucks, for example, still need to hire a new general manager after Mike Gillis was fired. The Capitals may need to hire a new GM as well, with George McPhee’s seat arguably as hot as Oates’. It may be those decisions are made before the coaching ones.
Earlier this month, Washington owner Ted Leonsis promised to “conduct a comprehensive review of what transpired this year,” after which the “necessary adjustments” will be made.
In Toronto, meanwhile, Brendan Shanahan was only just hired as the club’s new president. And that move came just days after Trevor Linden took over hockey operations in Vancouver. Both those two will need to get fully up to speed before they make a decision as big as the coaching one.
Still, there’s something to be said for not letting the process drag out. If the decision is to keep the coach, fine, then time will need to be spent making adjustments for next season, because obviously adjustments need to be made. If the coach is fired, then time will need to be spent hiring a new one.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)