Apr 21, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks haven’t just beaten the Los Angeles Kings twice in their first round series. They’ve crushed them.
Now down 2-0, Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks the team’s complimentary players need to step up if they are going to stage a comeback.
“I thought that our third and fourth line and our fifth and sixth defensemen could match up better against their third and fourth line,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It hasn’t happened yet.”
He added that the Kings need to show the same “tenacity” that the Sharks’ role players have displayed. San Jose got goals from seven different players last night, including enforcers Mike Brown and Raffi Torres.
This isn’t a new problem as far as Sutter is concerned. He feels the Kings didn’t have a solid fourth line in 2013 either and that led to their downfall.
Sutter added that the Sharks have gotten 13 goals in two games because the Kings have been “trading chances” with them, but that’s been due to “three-or-four” players rather than a fundamental problem with a team.
The Kings used 11 forwards Sunday night. and might do the same in Game 3 on Tuesday.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)