Apr 21, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks haven’t just beaten the Los Angeles Kings twice in their first round series. They’ve crushed them.
Now down 2-0, Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks the team’s complimentary players need to step up if they are going to stage a comeback.
“I thought that our third and fourth line and our fifth and sixth defensemen could match up better against their third and fourth line,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It hasn’t happened yet.”
He added that the Kings need to show the same “tenacity” that the Sharks’ role players have displayed. San Jose got goals from seven different players last night, including enforcers Mike Brown and Raffi Torres.
This isn’t a new problem as far as Sutter is concerned. He feels the Kings didn’t have a solid fourth line in 2013 either and that led to their downfall.
Sutter added that the Sharks have gotten 13 goals in two games because the Kings have been “trading chances” with them, but that’s been due to “three-or-four” players rather than a fundamental problem with a team.
The Kings used 11 forwards Sunday night. and might do the same in Game 3 on Tuesday.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)