Apr 21, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks haven’t just beaten the Los Angeles Kings twice in their first round series. They’ve crushed them.
Now down 2-0, Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks the team’s complimentary players need to step up if they are going to stage a comeback.
“I thought that our third and fourth line and our fifth and sixth defensemen could match up better against their third and fourth line,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It hasn’t happened yet.”
He added that the Kings need to show the same “tenacity” that the Sharks’ role players have displayed. San Jose got goals from seven different players last night, including enforcers Mike Brown and Raffi Torres.
This isn’t a new problem as far as Sutter is concerned. He feels the Kings didn’t have a solid fourth line in 2013 either and that led to their downfall.
Sutter added that the Sharks have gotten 13 goals in two games because the Kings have been “trading chances” with them, but that’s been due to “three-or-four” players rather than a fundamental problem with a team.
The Kings used 11 forwards Sunday night. and might do the same in Game 3 on Tuesday.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)