Apr 21, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks haven’t just beaten the Los Angeles Kings twice in their first round series. They’ve crushed them.
Now down 2-0, Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks the team’s complimentary players need to step up if they are going to stage a comeback.
“I thought that our third and fourth line and our fifth and sixth defensemen could match up better against their third and fourth line,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It hasn’t happened yet.”
He added that the Kings need to show the same “tenacity” that the Sharks’ role players have displayed. San Jose got goals from seven different players last night, including enforcers Mike Brown and Raffi Torres.
This isn’t a new problem as far as Sutter is concerned. He feels the Kings didn’t have a solid fourth line in 2013 either and that led to their downfall.
Sutter added that the Sharks have gotten 13 goals in two games because the Kings have been “trading chances” with them, but that’s been due to “three-or-four” players rather than a fundamental problem with a team.
The Kings used 11 forwards Sunday night. and might do the same in Game 3 on Tuesday.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)