Apr 21, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Since suffering a 4-3 overtime loss to Columbus in Game 2, the Pittsburgh Penguins have been accused of narcissism and one of their own suggested that sometimes they don’t play with enough desperation, but one thing no one has ever suggested is that these Penguins can’t score and tonight, that was enough to lead them to a 4-3 victory.
Pittsburgh was behind 2-0 just 3:18 minutes into the contest, but they bombarded Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky throughout the contest. The Penguins outshot the Blue Jackets in every period and 15-5 in the third frame.
The result is that Bobrovsky more than doubled Marc-Andre Fleury in saves (37 to 17) despite being on the losing end.
For a while it looked like Bobrovsky might be able to hold off the Penguins. It wasn’t until Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik scored in the dying seconds of the second period that the first cracks in his armor were shown.
Columbus’ Cam Atkinson quickly reestablished the two-goal edge early in the third period, but Pittsburgh broke out with three goals in the span of 2:13 minutes courtesy of Brandon Sutter, Lee Stempniak, and Jussi Jokinen.
Both teams have held 3-1 leads in this series and neither squad has been able to hold onto that edge.
Pittsburgh now has regain home ice advantage in this series and has a 2-1 lead.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
He could be suspended for Game 3.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Neither will play Game 2 tonight.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
He received an instigator penalty late in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
He’s been out since mid-March with an arm injury.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay looks to avoid a sixth straight postseason loss.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)