Apr 21, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Since suffering a 4-3 overtime loss to Columbus in Game 2, the Pittsburgh Penguins have been accused of narcissism and one of their own suggested that sometimes they don’t play with enough desperation, but one thing no one has ever suggested is that these Penguins can’t score and tonight, that was enough to lead them to a 4-3 victory.
Pittsburgh was behind 2-0 just 3:18 minutes into the contest, but they bombarded Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky throughout the contest. The Penguins outshot the Blue Jackets in every period and 15-5 in the third frame.
The result is that Bobrovsky more than doubled Marc-Andre Fleury in saves (37 to 17) despite being on the losing end.
For a while it looked like Bobrovsky might be able to hold off the Penguins. It wasn’t until Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik scored in the dying seconds of the second period that the first cracks in his armor were shown.
Columbus’ Cam Atkinson quickly reestablished the two-goal edge early in the third period, but Pittsburgh broke out with three goals in the span of 2:13 minutes courtesy of Brandon Sutter, Lee Stempniak, and Jussi Jokinen.
Both teams have held 3-1 leads in this series and neither squad has been able to hold onto that edge.
Pittsburgh now has regain home ice advantage in this series and has a 2-1 lead.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)