Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EST
Here’s the play in question:
Spearing has become a hot topic in the early stages of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Boston’s Milan Lucic was fined $5,000 for spearing Danny DeKeyser, while Anaheim’s Corey Perry issued a warning after doing the same to Jamie Benn. Richards will escape suspension and it remains to be seen if he’ll be fined for his actions, as the league could deem this incident to have been adequately punished during the game (Richards was whistled for a double-minor on the play).
That said, the optics surrounding this latest spear didn’t look good. Richards delivered it in the late stages of a blowout and was called out by Couture following the game.
“You could tell they were frustrated and they were running around and I guess being cheap,” Couture said, per NHL.com. “Just stick to our plan and take the power plays and move on.”
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 0
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 16
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 35
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40