Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Here’s the play in question:
Spearing has become a hot topic in the early stages of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Boston’s Milan Lucic was fined $5,000 for spearing Danny DeKeyser, while Anaheim’s Corey Perry issued a warning after doing the same to Jamie Benn. Richards will escape suspension and it remains to be seen if he’ll be fined for his actions, as the league could deem this incident to have been adequately punished during the game (Richards was whistled for a double-minor on the play).
That said, the optics surrounding this latest spear didn’t look good. Richards delivered it in the late stages of a blowout and was called out by Couture following the game.
“You could tell they were frustrated and they were running around and I guess being cheap,” Couture said, per NHL.com. “Just stick to our plan and take the power plays and move on.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25