Apr 21, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Steve Mason is working to return from an upper-body injury that has kept him on the sidelines since April 12, but at this point, he might not immediately play between the pipes even when he is ready.
The 25-year-old goaltender acknowledged that after confirming that he won’t be available for Game 3 on Tuesday.
“The way (Ray Emery‘s) playing, there’s no hurry,” Mason said. “He’s the reason we won yesterday, so, even if I was ready, there’s no reason to take him out right now.”
Emery wasn’t perfect in Game 2, especially early in the contest, but he got better as the game went on and put the Flyers in a position where they could overcome their early 2-0 deficit. Mason did outplay him during the regular season, but it’s also worth noting that Emery, 31, has 38 games worth of playoff experience while Mason played in four postseason contests back in 2009 and lost all of them.
So there’s a case for riding Emery for as long as he’s giving them a chance to win and it looks like Mason agrees.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)