Apr 21, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Steve Mason is working to return from an upper-body injury that has kept him on the sidelines since April 12, but at this point, he might not immediately play between the pipes even when he is ready.
The 25-year-old goaltender acknowledged that after confirming that he won’t be available for Game 3 on Tuesday.
“The way (Ray Emery‘s) playing, there’s no hurry,” Mason said. “He’s the reason we won yesterday, so, even if I was ready, there’s no reason to take him out right now.”
Emery wasn’t perfect in Game 2, especially early in the contest, but he got better as the game went on and put the Flyers in a position where they could overcome their early 2-0 deficit. Mason did outplay him during the regular season, but it’s also worth noting that Emery, 31, has 38 games worth of playoff experience while Mason played in four postseason contests back in 2009 and lost all of them.
So there’s a case for riding Emery for as long as he’s giving them a chance to win and it looks like Mason agrees.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)