Get your game notes: Blues at Blackhawks

Apr 21, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Tonight on CNBC, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the St. Louis Blues starting at 8:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:

– St. Louis has won both games in this series in overtime after coming back to tie the score late in the 3rd period (1:45 left in Game 1, 6.4 seconds left in Game 2). On Saturday in Game 2, Vladimir Tarasenko scored the tying goal and Barret Jackman tallied the game-winner at 5:50 of overtime. The comebacks mark just the third time in Stanley Cup Playoffs history that a team has won consecutive games in one series when trailing in the final two minutes of regulation in each contest. The Blues join the Canadiens in Games 1 and 2 against the Bruins in the 1969 Semifinals (won series in 6 gms) and the Flyers in Games 3 and 4 against the Maple Leafs in the 1977 Quarterfinals (won series in 6 gms). (Elias Sports Bureau)

Brent Seabrook will not play in Game 3, 4 or 5 (if necessary) – the Blackhawks defensemen was suspended yesterday (on his 29th birthday) for 3 games – his first career suspension – for his hit on David Backes late in the 3rd period in Game 2. He was ejected from the game, while Backes went to the locker room as well and did not return. Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said Backes would not have been able to play if Game 3 was yesterday; his status for this game is yet to be determined. Backes was injured back in December, missing a total of 5 games. Although that December ailment was officially diagnosed as an upper-body injury, he was out with concussion-like symptoms initially suffered from a hit taken in a game against Ottawa on Dec. 16.

– The Blues are now 6-1 all-time vs. the ‘Hawks in playoff OT games. They also earned their 6th straight postseason win over Chicago improving to 10-1 in their last 11 playoff meetings dating back to 1993.

– The Blues have won 10 of their previous 11 postseason series when taking a 2-0 advantage. Their lone loss in that situation came last year, falling to LA in 6 games in the WCQF. Chicago has not been down 0-2 since they trailed VAN in the first round of the 2010-‘11 postseason – they were also the defending Stanley Cup champs that season and went on to lose that series in 7 games.

– All 3 Blackhawks goals in Game 2 were by defensemen: Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook & Michal Rozsival. Chicago’s 3 leading scorers in the regular season – Patrick Sharp (78 pts.), Patrick Kane (69) & Jonathan Toews (68) – were each held without a point in Game 2.

Kevin Shattenkirk tallied 1 goal & 2 assists in Game 2 to become the first Blues defenseman to record 3 pts. in a playoff game since April 24, 1999, when Al MacInnis notched 1G-2A–3PTS against the Coyotes in Game 2 of the WCQF. (Elias Sports Bureau)

– Vladimir Tarasenko returned for the Blues in Game 1 after missing 15 games with a broken right thumb & scored his first career playoff goal. With his 2nd career playoff goal in Game 2 (in his 3rd career playoff game), Tarasenko now has scored in 4 straight games that he’s played in dating back to March 13th of the regular season & has 8 points during a personal 7-game point streak dating back to March 8th.

– After losing 9 of their last 10 games away from the United Center dating back to March 12th of the regular season, Chicago returns home where it’s won 4 straight and 7 of its last 8. The Blackhawks went 27-7-7 at home during the regular season and 11-2 at home last postseason.

1. imleftcoast - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Blues lost 6 in a row entering the playoffs. Can the on-air experts finally bury the, ‘you have to have momentum going into the playoffs’ comment?

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM

They’ve got momentum now. Way to motivate an already motivated team, Seabiscuit.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

You’re all over these articles now the stl is winning games. Funny how you disappeared after the last 2 reg season games between these teams. And you were nowhere to be found at the end of the regular season when the blue notes were slumping.

One word comes to mind…

Coward.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Man, I wasn’t going to say anything this time, but I couldn’t resist.

She has an excuse. Just ask her. Four weeks of them. I’m kind of disappointed “Watching the Blood Moon” wasn’t one of them, but hey.

Again, can’t fault her not being super pumped to show up after a loss, but it’s the fact that after every blackhawk loss, you read the article, scroll down, and there’s jhaegs. There like clockwork in the good times, vapor trails when it’s bad. (You know, like the stereotypical Blackhawk fan!)

That’s the only reason imo that it’s noteworthy. Classic “can dish it out but they can’t take it.”

You know, like St. Louis and cheap shots. (There, something for everyone.)

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I’ve already had a great day

78 degrees here in Michigan!! Took the day off, played 27 holes, had a nice lunch, gave the wife a little pickle tickle…..

Now a couple of good laughs on PHT – your comment here and someone on a Kings article from last nite, believe it was “I think blomfeld killed himself”

Good times, good times

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM

All of a sudden I feel compelled to find that comment. Back in a bit.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Hahaha! I can’t believe you people missed me that much. Let me find the comment saying I’d be gone for a while (which I said a week before that game). Let me get my boss to write you a note, excusing me for my absence after I got home from my fishing trip. Then, I can bring my wife on here, so she can apologize for giving birth to our second son. I asked her to wait until the end of the season so I could dedicate more time to you guys, but she just couldn’t make it happen. I promise I won’t leave you guys again, so please don’t worry.

I’ve had an eventful past month, so go ahead and say that I was being a “coward” and “hiding”. It was one of the best times of my life, and I don’t have to prove anything to you jacka**es.

I’m sure you will all disappear soon, quicker than the Hawks fans at the game yesterday. They were literally shoving their way through the celebrating Blues fans and running for the exits. Funny that they wanted so much attention during the game, but wished they were invisible afterward.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM

*the game Saturday

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM

It’s just funny how your life gets “eventful” when things are going bad for the Blues, and how boring your life gets when the Blues are winning.

Really, really curious.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Welcome to life! It can be unpredictable at times…

2. comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Blackhawks played a terrible game 2, and it still took Bickell and Seabrook losing their minds and giving the blues a :30 two man and 4:30 power play to get the Blues into overtime.

Last year: Blues blow a 2-0 series lead. Blackhawks come back twice from being down 2-1.

But feel free to keep calling this series over.

• bcsteele - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Yeah ya know…blew that 2-0 series lead last year…once out of eleven times in history. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That said, anyone who is saying its over clearly doesn’t know what they’re talking about or knows either of these teams well, or this rivalry.

…but be real here…the ‘hawks are treading water after two heart breakers there. And they are down a guy who’s their second best dman and was putting up offense as well.

Still gonna be a finish though, ‘Hawks don’t exactly go quietly into the night (see the Van/Chi series they mentioned above).

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

That’s all I’m saying. :)

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

By the way, if these games keep going to OT, that Canuck series is how I see this playing out.

Who’s going to be Chris Campoli? Sheldon Brookbank. Or if he’s a scratch, Oduya. Or Seabrook himself, he’s coughed up a few dandies this year.

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Dude, Oduya is like nails on a chalkboard. Scares the living crap out of me every time he touches the puck. Versteeg is a close 2nd.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You’re just mad you guys didn’t get that loser point you’re so fond of.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM

One of the biggest supporters of 3-2-1 with no shootouts that you will find.

But it is clear we are now just throwing out silly comebacks, so, “nice face.”

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM

3-2-1. Is there a loser point in there somewhere?

• thesportsjudge - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Bickell is a brainless piece of garbage anyway, so that is not really surprising what he did.

3. hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Mr Halford – When did the Hawks sign defenseman Kris Versteeg? I know that traded for forward Kris Versteeg. Ok I know is was an honest mistake but couldn’t resist.

• Mike Halford - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Good eye. The above notes come from the NHL on NBC research team but it’s still on us to edit and proof everything that goes live on the site, so that’s an error on my part. Copy has been changed to reflect as much. Thanks.

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I was messing around . No harm meant.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

That confirms my assumptions that began earlier this season – James O’Brien really is one of the worst and consistently inaccurate writers on the internet. Always blaming his errors on someone else providing inaccurate information.

Bravo Halford, still one of the best.

4. vbcaps - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I’d like to see the blues win the series but want the Hawks to win to make the series interesting

5. hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Truth be told the Hawks have not been great in both games so far. That’s actually the amazing part, not at all playing good and had a chance to win both games. Credit the Blues for never quitting. The Hawks had and have that same mentality. As far as the whole momentum thing, shouldn’t all teams be motivated playing for the cup. Furthermore those who talk about momentum on the Blues side right now, if the Hawks should win the next 2, will that word even be mentioned by a Blues fan. I watched the post game news presses and Quineville was pissed as he should be. The last time I saw him that upset the Hawks went on a roll. I hope for the same this time around.

6. letherton - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM

What can u expect! Hawks lost 15 ot games during season. No stamina!! They have a hard time playing 3 periods without ot!

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Don’t you mean they have a hard time playing 3 periods *and* OT?

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Did you watch the triple O. T. game? Or are just posting here knowing the Hawks lost in triple O.T. The Hawks played well, just not well enough. If I recall Sharp had an opportunity to end it on a breakaway. Hardly call that lacking stamina.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Pretty sure all NHL players have incredible stamina. Have you seen the rigors they go thru to train for this league?

Granted, I’m way past what would be considered “prime” physical years, but these guys are impressive nonetheless

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

P.S. —

OTL in the regular season includes shootout losses. Since you’re a beginner, I’ll tell you that the shootout isn’t used to determine a winner in the NHL playoffs. (Thankfully)

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Weren’t they like 1-7 in games decided in OT?

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Wait 2-7… Sorry!

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM

(2-9 including playoffs) 😉

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Please, correct me if I’m wrong…

Top 10 NHL Player Searches