Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
The chants of ‘Beat L.A.! Beat L.A.!’ grew louder and louder from the fans inside SAP Center in San Jose on Sunday. The Sharks are halfway to that objective.
The Sharks now lead the L.A. Kings 2-0 in the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final series, thanks to a 7-2 victory in Game 2. San Jose trailed by a pair of goals early on, but emphatically came back and completely took this one over with seven unanswered.
And it was the fourth liners, Mike Brown and Raffi Torres, that initially led the charge. Not only were they both physical forces, punishing opposing players with thunderous body checks, but they displayed a scoring touch, too. Brown got the Sharks on the board with his first career Stanley Cup playoff goal less than five minutes into the second period, and Torres tied it at 2-2 less than five minutes afterward on a perfect wrist shot that beat Jonathan Quick on the stick side.
Justin Braun scored the winner. At the time, it was a close hockey game, the Braun goal breaking the deadlock.
The Sharks’ killer instinct took over from there, and they didn’t let up in the third period. It was an onslaught. The Sharks kept coming and the Kings were powerless to stop it.
Quick, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner only two years ago when the Kings won the Stanley Cup but pulled in the series opener, has now given up 12 goals in the last two games. He still made 33 saves in a losing cause Sunday.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Latest update: He’s on crutches.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out from the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)