Apr 21, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards knew his team didn’t have much experience headed into the playoffs. With the number of young guys on the team and transplants from elsewhere, there was a question as to whether or not facing the Pittsburgh Penguins might cause them to be intimidated.
As Terry Koshan of QMI Agency shares, Richards feels his questions about his team have been put to rest with how they’ve responded through two games and a tied series with the Penguins.
“There was not any defining moment that it hit me that our young guys were ready,” Richards said on Sunday. “There were (regularly) moments in their games where they showed me and the rest of the coaching staff that they were ready for this. There was a little bit of a question coming into the playoffs about whether we were ready, and I think the guys have answered that.”
The Jackets won Game 2 in overtime when Matt Calvert, another young guy, scored his second goal of the game and sent the series to Columbus all even. With production and fearlessness like that, big things can happen.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 6
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)