Apr 21, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards knew his team didn’t have much experience headed into the playoffs. With the number of young guys on the team and transplants from elsewhere, there was a question as to whether or not facing the Pittsburgh Penguins might cause them to be intimidated.
As Terry Koshan of QMI Agency shares, Richards feels his questions about his team have been put to rest with how they’ve responded through two games and a tied series with the Penguins.
“There was not any defining moment that it hit me that our young guys were ready,” Richards said on Sunday. “There were (regularly) moments in their games where they showed me and the rest of the coaching staff that they were ready for this. There was a little bit of a question coming into the playoffs about whether we were ready, and I think the guys have answered that.”
The Jackets won Game 2 in overtime when Matt Calvert, another young guy, scored his second goal of the game and sent the series to Columbus all even. With production and fearlessness like that, big things can happen.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)