Apr 21, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks were facing an uphill battle against the St. Louis Blues on Monday. Down 2-0 in the series, the Blackhawks were also without defenseman Brent Seabrook due to a three-game suspension.
But the Blackhawks, the defending Stanley Cup champions, prevailed by a final score of 2-0. The Blues still lead the best-of-seven series 2-1. Jonathan Toews scored the winner all the way back at the 4:10 mark of the opening period. His weak wrist shot from the slot somehow slid through the legs of goalie Ryan Miller, who was otherwise solid, making 22 saves.
This game didn’t have the same fireworks expected after what transpired in St. Louis two days ago, when Seabrook was tossed for his high, late hit on David Backes, who didn’t play because of injury. Further to that, emotions were expected to be even higher because of the alleged taunting toward Backes when he was struggling to his feet after the Seabrook hit.
Corey Crawford stopped all 34 shots he faced. It’s his third Stanley Cup playoff shutout of his career.
The Blackhawks had their chances to increase the lead, particularly in the second period when the Blues took four consecutive minor penalties, including this Maxim Lapierre hit-from-behind on Sheldon Brookbank. However, Chicago went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 10
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 22
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)