Apr 21, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Patrice Bergeron toughness can’t be questioned after he fought through a separated shoulder, cracked ribs, and punctured lung in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, but just because he’s willing to play through almost anything doesn’t mean that they don’t take a toll on him.
So while a gastrointestinal virus might seem small by comparison, he’s had trouble living up to the extraordinary high standards he holds himself to while playing through the illness in the first two games of Boston’s first round series against Detroit.
“The biggest thing it affects is your energy levels,” Bergeron told CSN New England. “I was hit by it. It’s one of those things that goes away, thank God. It was a pretty good virus this time around, and now it’s about battling through that stuff this time of year.”
Bergeron hopes to be completely over it by the time Game 3 starts tomorrow (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN). That would be a big boost for Boston as he continues to compete directly against fellow Selke Trophy winner Pavel Datsyuk.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
There’s currently no deal in place for the games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
He’s expected to have surgery today.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Ovechkin looks to bump the slump as the Caps try to avoid falling behind 3-1 in their series with the Islanders.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
The GM hasn’t taken kindly to recent criticism of his hockey club.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (97)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)