Apr 21, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Patrice Bergeron toughness can’t be questioned after he fought through a separated shoulder, cracked ribs, and punctured lung in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, but just because he’s willing to play through almost anything doesn’t mean that they don’t take a toll on him.
So while a gastrointestinal virus might seem small by comparison, he’s had trouble living up to the extraordinary high standards he holds himself to while playing through the illness in the first two games of Boston’s first round series against Detroit.
“The biggest thing it affects is your energy levels,” Bergeron told CSN New England. “I was hit by it. It’s one of those things that goes away, thank God. It was a pretty good virus this time around, and now it’s about battling through that stuff this time of year.”
Bergeron hopes to be completely over it by the time Game 3 starts tomorrow (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN). That would be a big boost for Boston as he continues to compete directly against fellow Selke Trophy winner Pavel Datsyuk.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
Carl Soderberg – Loui Eriksson – Milan Lucic combined for a pretty one.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:33 PM EST
Maybe making room for Dany Heatley?
Nov 24, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
It could be challenging if the cap ceiling doesn’t rise much.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:07 PM EST
Calvin de Haan and Thomas Hickey are out, Matt Donovan’s in.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
He’ll pester the Pittsburgh Penguins on NBCSN tonight.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A rematch of the 2013 Eastern Conference Final.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)