Apr 21, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Patrice Bergeron toughness can’t be questioned after he fought through a separated shoulder, cracked ribs, and punctured lung in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, but just because he’s willing to play through almost anything doesn’t mean that they don’t take a toll on him.
So while a gastrointestinal virus might seem small by comparison, he’s had trouble living up to the extraordinary high standards he holds himself to while playing through the illness in the first two games of Boston’s first round series against Detroit.
“The biggest thing it affects is your energy levels,” Bergeron told CSN New England. “I was hit by it. It’s one of those things that goes away, thank God. It was a pretty good virus this time around, and now it’s about battling through that stuff this time of year.”
Bergeron hopes to be completely over it by the time Game 3 starts tomorrow (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN). That would be a big boost for Boston as he continues to compete directly against fellow Selke Trophy winner Pavel Datsyuk.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)