Apr 21, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Patrice Bergeron toughness can’t be questioned after he fought through a separated shoulder, cracked ribs, and punctured lung in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, but just because he’s willing to play through almost anything doesn’t mean that they don’t take a toll on him.
So while a gastrointestinal virus might seem small by comparison, he’s had trouble living up to the extraordinary high standards he holds himself to while playing through the illness in the first two games of Boston’s first round series against Detroit.
“The biggest thing it affects is your energy levels,” Bergeron told CSN New England. “I was hit by it. It’s one of those things that goes away, thank God. It was a pretty good virus this time around, and now it’s about battling through that stuff this time of year.”
Bergeron hopes to be completely over it by the time Game 3 starts tomorrow (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN). That would be a big boost for Boston as he continues to compete directly against fellow Selke Trophy winner Pavel Datsyuk.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)