Apr 21, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
As was often the case in regular season, the Colorado Avalanche were peppered with shots tonight, but kept in the contest by Semyon Varlamov. However, the Avalanche’s previously overwhelming core forwards went cold in Minnesota and the Wild were consequently able to earn a 1-0 victory in overtime.
Minnesota set a franchise record with 46 shots on goal, per the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo, including 22 in the first period alone. Their efforts finally paid off 5:08 minutes into overtime when Mikael Granlund beat Varlamov.
Although he didn’t get nearly as much work, Darcy Kuemper still deserves a lot of credit for stopping 22 shots en route to his first career postseason shutout. He replaced Ilya Bryzgalov, who started in the first two games.
The Avalanche still have a 2-1 series lead, but they might have lost more than the game. Defenseman Tyson Barrie was hurt as a result of a knee-on-knee hit from Wild forward Matt Cooke. Colorado defenseman Andre Benoit and forward Patrick Bordeleau also briefly left the contest as a result of separate incidents, but those two were able to return.
Cooke might be suspended and Barrie’s status is also unknown ahead of Game 4 on Thursday.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)