Apr 21, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
As was often the case in regular season, the Colorado Avalanche were peppered with shots tonight, but kept in the contest by Semyon Varlamov. However, the Avalanche’s previously overwhelming core forwards went cold in Minnesota and the Wild were consequently able to earn a 1-0 victory in overtime.
Minnesota set a franchise record with 46 shots on goal, per the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo, including 22 in the first period alone. Their efforts finally paid off 5:08 minutes into overtime when Mikael Granlund beat Varlamov.
Although he didn’t get nearly as much work, Darcy Kuemper still deserves a lot of credit for stopping 22 shots en route to his first career postseason shutout. He replaced Ilya Bryzgalov, who started in the first two games.
The Avalanche still have a 2-1 series lead, but they might have lost more than the game. Defenseman Tyson Barrie was hurt as a result of a knee-on-knee hit from Wild forward Matt Cooke. Colorado defenseman Andre Benoit and forward Patrick Bordeleau also briefly left the contest as a result of separate incidents, but those two were able to return.
Cooke might be suspended and Barrie’s status is also unknown ahead of Game 4 on Thursday.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)