Avalanche’s Varlamov stops 45 shots, but Wild win in OT

Apr 21, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Minnesota Wild - Game Three Getty Images

As was often the case in regular season, the Colorado Avalanche were peppered with shots tonight, but kept in the contest by Semyon Varlamov. However, the Avalanche’s previously overwhelming core forwards went cold in Minnesota and the Wild were consequently able to earn a 1-0 victory in overtime.

Minnesota set a franchise record with 46 shots on goal, per the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo, including 22 in the first period alone. Their efforts finally paid off 5:08 minutes into overtime when Mikael Granlund beat Varlamov.

Although he didn’t get nearly as much work, Darcy Kuemper still deserves a lot of credit for stopping 22 shots en route to his first career postseason shutout. He replaced Ilya Bryzgalov, who started in the first two games.

The Avalanche still have a 2-1 series lead, but they might have lost more than the game. Defenseman Tyson Barrie was hurt as a result of a knee-on-knee hit from Wild forward Matt Cooke. Colorado defenseman Andre Benoit and forward Patrick Bordeleau also briefly left the contest as a result of separate incidents, but those two were able to return.

Cooke might be suspended and Barrie’s status is also unknown ahead of Game 4 on Thursday.

1. lordfletcher - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Fat lady will have to wait to start singing cuz that Wild team was fun to watch.

Going 7 games folks

#popcorn

2. greej1938l - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM

WHAT A SAAAAWWWEEEET goal!

3. aspinaci - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Barrie is out 4-6 weeks with a MCL. Cooke is a POS and should be suspended or better yet kicked out of the league.

• clarke16 - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Roy, Roy, Roy… Cry me some more, Priscilla… Cookie finishes his checks. No suspension warranted.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Hell prob be suspended, although I think the hit was made worse by Barrie jumping out of the way at the last second, hopefully he can have a speedy recovery.

• avscup - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM

You’re village is calling…they miss their idiot!

Cooke will be gone for a while. Bordy will take care of the Swiss puss.

Avs will get nastier on D with Barrie out. Wilson or Sarich will be back in.

• clarke16 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Wow–that’s some original and imaginative stuff there, avs… *The village is missing their idiot* Really? Time to raid the sofa cushions and go for the weed behind the counter instead of being first in line for *Seed and Stem* day every week, Chet… :)

• clarke16 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, danks…it can be argued that Barrie certainly contributed to the unfortunate outcome by trying to avoid contact rather than making sure Cooke got every bit of what he was giving… It’s doubtful it will matter. Players like Cooke have the league’s bulls-eye on their backs to be the poster child in the league’s outward attempt to demonstrate a crackdown on what they perceive to be dangerous hits. If Cooke didn’t know that before–he will learn it now…

Losing him will hurt. He was consistently the most physical presence on the ice for the Wild throughout that game…with a non-stop motor and follow-through on all his checks. Now it’s up to McCormick to be that guy.

4. hardkor07mn - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Are you burn outs still going to try and tell me that Varlamov isn’t the reason the Avs are up 2-1?

• strictlythedanks - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Chill, no need to take a shot at the smart people to finally legalize weed, jabroni.

• tved12 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:42 PM

As a Wild fan this earns a huge thumbs up. That and I have yet to give you props on your name, me too buddy, me too.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I tip my hat to you, tved

• avscup - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

He is a big part of it. What’s your point? He’ll be the reason they go up 3-1 also.

5. strictlythedanks - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:38 PM

AVs were incredibly lucky to get to OT, that being said Wild need to finish their chances.

6. clarke16 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Intense, hard-fought battle that shows some real heart from the Wild… Utter domination from start to finish in all facets of the game. I guess the coach should be fired, huh? LOL. Slapd*cks.

• lordfletcher - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM

You had a good comment going up till the end… One solid game doesn’t erase a half a season of bad ones, including game one and two of this series.

Again. I like Yeo but he isnt the answer long term.

Enjoy tonights win!!!!

• clarke16 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM

If you say so… It really isn’t worth my time debating with a fan who shows limited big picture perspective… I can tell you this–Yeo and his staff all have two year deals awaiting the off-season for their signatures…

• credible316 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM

@clarke16 – If the Wild don’t make it out of the first round, that contract will be a 4 year deal with Trotz signature awaiting.

• lordfletcher - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Limited big picture perspective?

Don’t be sour grapes because I don’t share the same opinion as you on Yeo.

The Wilds window is now and the future. No reason to not expected a winner today instead of being a classic Minnesotan and study mock drafts and hope for a better season in the future.

What has Yeo shown you that makes you think he is a better option than Trotz????????????

• tved12 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:50 PM

I think Yeo is getting better every year. The guy seems to get a lot out of his guys defensively, though I would like to see a little more offensive fire power. But the Wild are giving up very few shots this year and they’ve got some young talent that seems to be developing very well. I wouldn’t be so quick to write him off.

• clarke16 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM

…because you obviously don’t have the capacity to see how far this team has/needed to come to get where they stand today. This is the toughest game–bar none–in the world. It isn’t a picture-perfect pass every night for a team like the Wild battling to elevate their stature among the elite. It’s a tough climb–and it tests every bit of willpower you have…but guess what? When the chips are down and the skies are darkest–what happens? TONIGHT. That’s what happens. These players believe in this coach and, like the team, Yeo shines brightest when the team is in it’s darkest hour… The progress this team has clearly made from last season to now is easy to see–and there’s no reason to see that stopping…

This guy has a bright future ahead of him in coaching. He’s young and makes his share of youthful mistakes–but he GET’S IT…and that’s just not something you throw away…

Pick up another sniper and right-hander on the blue line in the off-season and this team has a three year window from there where they have a legit chance to compete for a cup…

• lordfletcher - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:18 AM

You do make great already known points but I still fail to see how he’s a better option over Trotz.

If this team needs to be facing near elimination in order to win a game, then motivation is a huge concern with a young hungry coach and plenty of veteran leadership on the roster

But what do I know… I just play NHL14 and internet GM. I don’t play co rec broomball like yourself carry on Melrose

• clarke16 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:06 AM

…like I said, limited big picture perspective. It’s not your fault. It just IS.

7. credible316 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Hopefully the momentum stolen in game one has changed hands. Stopping 44 shots and still getting the loss has to get in your head.

What a performance by Varlamov and the Wild. Granlunds balls have just doubled in size!

8. mrhyperpants - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Avs need to learn to take the man and put some hits on the wild. Finish your checks.

9. davekillercarlson - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Love seeing the Wild fans come out of the shadows after that game 2 loss. But seriously, despite getting lucky on that delay of game call (Avs would have been on the power play the last minute or so and beginning of OT), and having Cooke goon it up out there (gonna blame that on him being trash and not Minnesota as a team), I’ll say that Minny outpalyed the Avs tonight. This is my way of saying you guys could learn something about having a little humility when it comes to your team.

I wouldn’t expect another one like this though. 11 Avs who played in their first road playoff game tonight, and 2 days is plenty of time to adjust to Yeo’s peewee-level coaching adjustments.

• tved12 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I can confidently say that I have yet to “hide in the shadows” during these playoffs. In fact, I’ve been saying since game 1 that the Wild are the better team and will take this series.

Cooke made a bad play IMO, he will hurt his team by getting himself suspended. As for the Delay of Game call, they didn’t show a good replay here. It looked like it hit MacKinnon’s stick, but again, they didn’t show a good angle.

The Wild have played better in games 1 and 3, hopefully this is the game to spark their confidence for good. As for Yeo’s “peewee-level” adjustments, they sure seemed to stifle your Avs tonight. If he can continue like this I’m scared to see what happens when he makes big league adjustments.

• slickvb82 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Ok, first don’t even mention the delay of game no call. The Avs had plenty of calls their way this game, and couldn’t convert on ANY of them. Seems to be an Avs problem, no PP, even with all that talent. Second, the Cooke hit was bad but I seriously doubt he had any intent to hurt him. His game has been clean for years now, give the guy a break.

Third, one could argue that game 1 was mostly in MN favor but turn overs killed us. This series could easily be 2-1 Wild right now. And finally, I was quite happy with “Yeos peewee level adjustments.” Bringing in Heatley who played well and switching up the top two lines seemed to work.

Oh, and get your own lines instead of stealing Roys – “11 Avs who played in their first road playoff game tonight”…..yank yank!

• davekillercarlson - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I try to give you guys credit and all you do is troll. Well, enjoy your 1 win this series and all your college hockey dominance LOLZ.

• slickvb82 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Try to give you guys credit? In all of your rambling the only credit was a small “Minny outplayed the Avs tonight?”….gee thanks for the credit, and we’re the trolls huh. The more we get into this series the more I hate Avs fans.

• davekillercarlson - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:05 AM

First of all I’m not blaming that no call on the loss. I’m saying the Wild outplayed the Avs in pretty much every aspect other than goaltending.

You have to be out of your mind if you’re serious saying there was “no intent to injure.” Classic Wild fan bull ish. Oh he has been clean? Did you not see his hit against Nichushkin earlier this year? Give me a break. The guy’s a goon and that’s the only way he’s made a living in the NHL.

It could be 2-1, but it’s not. So stop living in your fantasy world. And Roy makes a good point you don’t think so? Oh I guess playoff experience is easy to toss out of the window when you’re a Wild fan watching your team lose a series to a bunch of guys in their 1st playoff series.

• slickvb82 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:56 AM

Ok I understand the Avs didn’t have 46 shots, but pretty sure Kuemper had a shutout. Doesn’t quite sound right to say we outplayed the Avs in all aspects except goaltending…..

My opinion, your opinion. I’m sure it has to do with the fact that you’re a fan of the team who’s player was injured, I get it. But to say it was intentional simply due to the players history is not fair, I 100% don’t believe he tried to hurt him. I guess thats typical Wild fan bull ish to you though.

And “Fantasy Land” haha….its a fact, we should have won that first game and you know it. You cannot sit there and tell me the Avs deserved to win that game. We outplayed you most of the game, if it wasn’t for the two turnovers that led to goals the series WOULD be 2-1 Wild. Thats not fantasy land my friend.

I never argued that experience isn’t important. I said your quote just came directly from Roys mouth, and used it as if you were actually attacking Yeo with some sort of unknown. Do you realize how young the Wilds lineup is too? Haula, Fontaine, Nino and Prosser are all first year players. Coyle, Granlund, Brodin, Scandella….all guys 24 or under with a measly few games playoff experience under their belt prior to this yr.

Sorry but your comments just come across as stupid.

10. nodindenver - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Cooke will be suspended, Matty Ice is coming back for the Avs, and Minny will go down!

• strictlythedanks - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:14 AM

no din for you tonight

• mp1131211 - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Wait… You call him a Natty Ice rip off as a compliment?

11. southstands1 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Ok…enough ridiculousness in here. The Wild played a great game and Kuemper was fantastic in goal. Cooke’s hit was made worse by his reputation no doubt, but it was still a cheap shot. I think he deserves what’s coming to him, but the penalty will be worse than what that hit deserves.

Bottom line, I never expected the Avalanche to sweep the Wild. Minnesota is tough at home, but Colorado is too fast for the Wild to seriously contain over 7 games. I can see Colorado winning the next two, but I see the series going 6 with the Wild pulling out one more game over the next two.

12. purpleguy - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM

The thing is that the Avs are without two of their top centers and our team still is down 2-1. The games are close, but this Avs team is good, and their goalie is better. The Wild can win this series, but man is it gonna be tough.

13. mackattack29 - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Enjoy the one and only win you’ll get. This series isn’t going past 5. Lol the wild will never win anything. Bunch of losers. Just like everyone in that retarded farmer filled state. Lol there’s a reason why you guys are one of the fly-over states.. can’t imagine the kind of messed up parents who would raise anyone in that place…

Top 10 NHL Player Searches