Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
One of the side stories of the Detroit Red Wings’ first round series against the Boston Bruins is the fact that it’s pitted brother against brother.
Boston Bruins forward Reilly Smith, 23, was on the losing end of the opener, but he netted his first playoff goal at 10:35 of the first period to put the Bruins head 2-0:
The Bruins held that lead for the remainder of the period, but before the teams returned to their respective locker rooms, 25-year-old defenseman Brendan Smith got into a bit of a scrap with the 6-foot-9 Zdeno Chara.
Both players were given two minutes for roughing.
Before the series began, Brendan talked about how excited the brothers were to face each other in a playoff series.
“I think it will remind me more of basement hockey, when we played best-of-seven series (as children),” Brendan told the Detroit Free Press.
This series is heating up and the Smiths will play a significant role in determining the outcome.
If there is a Smith brother to fight Zdeno Chara, let it be Rory. http://t.co/GJsC6F7x5b
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) April 20, 2014
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)