Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
One of the side stories of the Detroit Red Wings’ first round series against the Boston Bruins is the fact that it’s pitted brother against brother.
Boston Bruins forward Reilly Smith, 23, was on the losing end of the opener, but he netted his first playoff goal at 10:35 of the first period to put the Bruins head 2-0:
The Bruins held that lead for the remainder of the period, but before the teams returned to their respective locker rooms, 25-year-old defenseman Brendan Smith got into a bit of a scrap with the 6-foot-9 Zdeno Chara.
Both players were given two minutes for roughing.
Before the series began, Brendan talked about how excited the brothers were to face each other in a playoff series.
“I think it will remind me more of basement hockey, when we played best-of-seven series (as children),” Brendan told the Detroit Free Press.
This series is heating up and the Smiths will play a significant role in determining the outcome.
If there is a Smith brother to fight Zdeno Chara, let it be Rory. http://t.co/GJsC6F7x5b
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) April 20, 2014
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)