Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
One of the side stories of the Detroit Red Wings’ first round series against the Boston Bruins is the fact that it’s pitted brother against brother.
Boston Bruins forward Reilly Smith, 23, was on the losing end of the opener, but he netted his first playoff goal at 10:35 of the first period to put the Bruins head 2-0:
The Bruins held that lead for the remainder of the period, but before the teams returned to their respective locker rooms, 25-year-old defenseman Brendan Smith got into a bit of a scrap with the 6-foot-9 Zdeno Chara.
Both players were given two minutes for roughing.
Before the series began, Brendan talked about how excited the brothers were to face each other in a playoff series.
“I think it will remind me more of basement hockey, when we played best-of-seven series (as children),” Brendan told the Detroit Free Press.
This series is heating up and the Smiths will play a significant role in determining the outcome.
If there is a Smith brother to fight Zdeno Chara, let it be Rory. http://t.co/GJsC6F7x5b
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) April 20, 2014
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)