Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
The Boston Bruins want to play a physical game against the Red Wings and engage them verbally. Detroit doesn’t want to risk responding in kind.
Boston converted on 21.7% of its regular season power-play opportunities, which was good for third place in the NHL. Detroit was just middle-of-the-road when it came to killing penalties and scoring with the man advantage, so the Red Wings realize that they’re unlikely to win this series if it’s decided by special teams.
“Against a team like this, which was so lethal on the power play, you want to stay out of the box,” forward Justin Abdelkader said. “We’ll do what we can to try to do that and play five-on-five. That’s where we’re at our best.”
Detroit managed to stay disciplined in Game 1 on Friday. While the Bruins outhit the Red Wings 34-26, Detroit only committed one penalty en route to a 1-0 victory. If the Red Wings can keep that up throughout the series, then one of the Bruins’ biggest advantages will be marginalized.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)