Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins had the inexperienced Columbus Blue Jackets against the ropes with a 3-1 lead in Game 2 on Saturday. Now Pittsburgh is left looking for answers after Columbus rallied from behind to earn a 4-3 double-overtime victory and even the series at 1-1.
Desperation isn’t something that should be in short supply for Pittsburgh in the playoffs, especially given how many times the team has fallen short of expectations in recent years. The Penguins have a loaded team, but since winning the Stanley Cup in 2009, they’ve allowed 3.2 goals per game in the playoffs, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe.
A lot of the blame for that has been put on Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, but he isn’t solely responsible for it either.
All the same, the Penguins can’t be written off over their past struggles. They lost their home ice advantage and Game 2 raised some points of concern, including their arguably overly aggressive play with the lead, but their fate is far from determined. They remain a serious contender for the Cup.
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)