Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins had the inexperienced Columbus Blue Jackets against the ropes with a 3-1 lead in Game 2 on Saturday. Now Pittsburgh is left looking for answers after Columbus rallied from behind to earn a 4-3 double-overtime victory and even the series at 1-1.
Desperation isn’t something that should be in short supply for Pittsburgh in the playoffs, especially given how many times the team has fallen short of expectations in recent years. The Penguins have a loaded team, but since winning the Stanley Cup in 2009, they’ve allowed 3.2 goals per game in the playoffs, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe.
A lot of the blame for that has been put on Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, but he isn’t solely responsible for it either.
All the same, the Penguins can’t be written off over their past struggles. They lost their home ice advantage and Game 2 raised some points of concern, including their arguably overly aggressive play with the lead, but their fate is far from determined. They remain a serious contender for the Cup.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)