Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook high and late hit on David Backes has cost his team dearly. Down 2-0 in the series, Chicago will have to fight its way back without his help after he was assessed a three-game suspension for his actions.
That’s on top of Seabrook’s check arguably costing Chicago Saturday’s game.
Chicago had a 3-2 lead at 15:09 of the third period when Seabrook was assessed a five-minute major. St. Louis forward Vladimir Tarasenko tied the game on the resulting power play en route to a 4-3 overtime win that put the Blues up 2-0 in the series.
The NHL determined that Seabrook had enough time to avoid the check after Backes skated by the puck, but instead he “delivered a violent blow that causes the defenseless Backes to crash dangerously into the boards.”
Seabrook hadn’t previously been fined or suspended, which presumably worked in his favor, but the NHL also factored in that Backes suffered an injury.
It remains to be seen whether Backes will be available for Game 3.
“I have no idea … I have no idea right now,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said on Sunday, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I know one thing: he couldn’t play today.”
You can watch the suspension video below:
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)