Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook high and late hit on David Backes has cost his team dearly. Down 2-0 in the series, Chicago will have to fight its way back without his help after he was assessed a three-game suspension for his actions.
That’s on top of Seabrook’s check arguably costing Chicago Saturday’s game.
Chicago had a 3-2 lead at 15:09 of the third period when Seabrook was assessed a five-minute major. St. Louis forward Vladimir Tarasenko tied the game on the resulting power play en route to a 4-3 overtime win that put the Blues up 2-0 in the series.
The NHL determined that Seabrook had enough time to avoid the check after Backes skated by the puck, but instead he “delivered a violent blow that causes the defenseless Backes to crash dangerously into the boards.”
Seabrook hadn’t previously been fined or suspended, which presumably worked in his favor, but the NHL also factored in that Backes suffered an injury.
It remains to be seen whether Backes will be available for Game 3.
“I have no idea … I have no idea right now,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said on Sunday, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I know one thing: he couldn’t play today.”
You can watch the suspension video below:
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)