Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Listening to Lightning coach Jon Cooper and it’s clear he sees Tampa Bay as the team no one ever believed in. Now that the Lightning are down 2-0 to Montreal, he feels that opinion has intensified.
“So now you look in the room at those guys and what do we have to lose?” Cooper asked. “We’re on the road, everybody thinks we’re suppose to lose.”
For good measure, Cooper then tossed in a reference to Montreal winning Games 1 and 2 on the road against the Boston Bruins in 2011 before losing in seven games.
Taking the pressure off his team might help the Lightning, but there’s a reason why many aren’t optimistic about their chances of staging a comeback. Losing goaltender Ben Bishop (elbow) was a big blow to them after he put himself in the conversation for the Vezina Trophy with his 2.23 GAA and .924 save percentage in 63 starts.
Bishop held the Canadiens to a 0.94 GAA and .962 save percentage in four contests during the regular season. In contrast, so far goalie Anders Lindback has a 3.69 GAA and .881 save percentage in the first round.
You can watch Cooper’s full press conference below:
Game 3 will start at 7:00 p.m. ET and will air on NBCSN.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)