Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Listening to Lightning coach Jon Cooper and it’s clear he sees Tampa Bay as the team no one ever believed in. Now that the Lightning are down 2-0 to Montreal, he feels that opinion has intensified.
“So now you look in the room at those guys and what do we have to lose?” Cooper asked. “We’re on the road, everybody thinks we’re suppose to lose.”
For good measure, Cooper then tossed in a reference to Montreal winning Games 1 and 2 on the road against the Boston Bruins in 2011 before losing in seven games.
Taking the pressure off his team might help the Lightning, but there’s a reason why many aren’t optimistic about their chances of staging a comeback. Losing goaltender Ben Bishop (elbow) was a big blow to them after he put himself in the conversation for the Vezina Trophy with his 2.23 GAA and .924 save percentage in 63 starts.
Bishop held the Canadiens to a 0.94 GAA and .962 save percentage in four contests during the regular season. In contrast, so far goalie Anders Lindback has a 3.69 GAA and .881 save percentage in the first round.
You can watch Cooper’s full press conference below:
Game 3 will start at 7:00 p.m. ET and will air on NBCSN.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)