Lightning coach: Everyone’s written us off, so we have nothing to lose

Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Jon Cooper AP

Listening to Lightning coach Jon Cooper and it’s clear he sees Tampa Bay as the team no one ever believed in. Now that the Lightning are down 2-0 to Montreal, he feels that opinion has intensified.

“So now you look in the room at those guys and what do we have to lose?” Cooper asked. “We’re on the road, everybody thinks we’re suppose to lose.”

For good measure, Cooper then tossed in a reference to Montreal winning Games 1 and 2 on the road against the Boston Bruins in 2011 before losing in seven games.

Taking the pressure off his team might help the Lightning, but there’s a reason why many aren’t optimistic about their chances of staging a comeback. Losing goaltender Ben Bishop (elbow) was a big blow to them after he put himself in the conversation for the Vezina Trophy with his 2.23 GAA and .924 save percentage in 63 starts.

Bishop held the Canadiens to a 0.94 GAA and .962 save percentage in four contests during the regular season. In contrast, so far goalie Anders Lindback has a 3.69 GAA and .881 save percentage in the first round.

You can watch Cooper’s full press conference below:

Game 3 will start at 7:00 p.m. ET and will air on NBCSN.

1. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Pity Party sure sign of a loser !

2. charlieconway96 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Right Mr Cooper, you have nothing to lose… Except maybe everything you worked for this year by getting dumped in the first round.

3. jcmeyer10 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I don’t mind this. It’s not like many teams could get by with their backup in the playoffs. I mean I appreciate what Chad Johnson has done for the B’s but c’mon don’t say pretend like the B’s would be the same.

4. aldog83 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Well coach.

How about losing your JOB?

Going down 0-2 at home not good for job security.

• ctcork - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Did you see our turn around from last year? I think his job is pretty safe.

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Seriously. I don’t even watch the Lightning but they made the playoffs, then lost the goalie that got them there.

Hard to blame a coach for that.

• titansrbeast - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:14 PM

It’s his first year as their coach and Tampa is a young team. I don’t think Jon Cooper is going anywhere. Don’t forget Ben Bishop would most likely change the outcome of this series (not saying Tampa would win, but I think they’ll get swept now as compared to if Bishop played, they might have won at least 2). Either way, I think Tampa has the potential to be elite very soon, and Jon Cooper brings a lot of energy to their team. I think he’ll be the coach for a good bit.

5. bigblueapple - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I think many of Cooper’s comments lately have shown his inexperience.

6. graymalkin26 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Not fair to put those 2 loses on the goalie, other players were non factors as well.

7. qwerty007qwerty007 - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Mind games. Hopefully the Habs have not written them off and every chance they get – they remind themselves of that Boston series. Don’t let up…

8. lsxphotog - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

It’s interesting to see how this team is visualized by the hockey world. I wouldn’t write the team off. I’m not saying that they’re going to win the series either, but I’m going to say that they will show a better fight on the ice. It’s obvious to anyone that there are some jitters with a lot of the guys out there. But it’s not just them. The Veterans like Carle, Salo, Brewer, and Filppula don’t look 100% either. I don’t honestly see how they can all have a bad game and keep it up since it’s not like some of these players to carry on poor play for more than a game or two – they usually bounce back. Well, they are relying on a fully paid off bounce house rental to get the whole squad to start jelling again. We’ll see if they can do it. I think we’ll see a much better fight out of this team for the next two games. At least I hope so for the sake of watching a good series.

9. muttbolts91 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM

The team is super young, nobody expected them to be there anyway. Only looking up from here plus we get drouin next year

Top 10 NHL Player Searches