Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
It seems only appropriate that Philadelphia ended its nine-game losing streak at Madison Square Garden in dramatic fashion. The New York Rangers were dominate early, but the Flyers battled back to earn a 3-2 victory that tied this series at 1-1.
Flyers goaltender Ray Emery was a microcosm of the Flyers’ journey as he struggled out of the gate, conceding similar-looking goals to Martin St. Louis and Benoit Pouliot in the first 8:22 minutes of the contest.
Emery settled in after that though and gave his team a chance to battle back into this one. The Flyers’ top unit started to turn the tide with Jakub Voracek scoring 14:14 minutes into the game. The Flyers’ first line of Voracek, Scott Hartnell, and Claude Giroux combined for just two shots on goal in the first game and had been routinely neutralized by the Rangers throughout the regular season.
With everything evened up, the Rangers have lost their home ice advantage as the series heads to Philadelphia for Game 3 on Tuesday.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)