Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG

Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

It seems only appropriate that Philadelphia ended its nine-game losing streak at Madison Square Garden in dramatic fashion. The New York Rangers were dominate early, but the Flyers battled back to earn a 3-2 victory that tied this series at 1-1.

Flyers goaltender Ray Emery was a microcosm of the Flyers’ journey as he struggled out of the gate, conceding similar-looking goals to Martin St. Louis and Benoit Pouliot in the first 8:22 minutes of the contest.

Emery settled in after that though and gave his team a chance to battle back into this one. The Flyers’ top unit started to turn the tide with Jakub Voracek scoring 14:14 minutes into the game. The Flyers’ first line of Voracek, Scott Hartnell, and Claude Giroux combined for just two shots on goal in the first game and had been routinely neutralized by the Rangers throughout the regular season.

Philadelphia completed the comeback from goals by Jason Akeson and defenseman Luke Schenn. In both cases, it was the player’s first career postseason goal.

With everything evened up, the Rangers have lost their home ice advantage as the series heads to Philadelphia for Game 3 on Tuesday.

1. patthehockeyfan - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Work on that headline, Dadoun. … win … MSG

• smileysmith99 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM

flyers are 1-0 at “MGS” this playoff season!

• killerpgh - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Where was game 1 played?

• SergeantKabukiMan - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM

@killerpgh The headline originally said MGS.. As opposed to MSG.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I know we’re brutal here. :)

One more:

… finally WIN at MSG

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I lied. One more: Final score was 4 – 2

2. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

The streak is FINALLY over. Huge win for the FlyBoys. Hopefully they carry the mo into Tuesday at the WFC. The question now beckons: who gets the Game 3 start? I say stay with Razor.

• flyerspsu - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I disagree, you take your time with mason but when he’s healthy you got to go with him, although I’d keep him on a pretty short leash seeing how solid emery has been

• icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Then you run the risk of dealing with the goaltender carousel. And no one knows if Mason has truly recovered. I see your point though.

3. mcphillthy - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Nice proof reading before you posted, dadoun! Go flyers!

4. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Just incase Sumkat didn’t go back to last article…..

sumkat – Apr 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

2-0 Rangers
    Emery is useless

WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? – Apr 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Flyers win 4-2
    Emery 31 saves first star….
    You were saying?

5. billy00balls - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Strong game by the Flyers. Good work boys!
    Keep it coming.

6. seagullrice - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Proof read man!

7. gomybirdsgo - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Flyers will win in 5. The most overrated “elite” goalie in the world will continue to not win a cup or playoff series at all and so far has been out played razor. Mase back in the net spells end of the road rangers :)

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Stop it……and I’m a Flyers fan.

• gomybirdsgo - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM

What is elite about a guy who has never been out of the second round ??? Hockey goalie greatness is judged by playoff performance, period. “king” is a great regular season goalie but when the heat get turned up he can’t win series like greats can.

Also the rangers biggest mistake was trading St. Louis to play against teams like the Flyers and Bruins. We laugh at this little person in th eplayoffs. When he was in his 20′s sure maybe he could over come but now? I don’t think so. Had they kept Callahan I would be much more worried as he would be a great two player who could get offense but still be able to defend against the deeper line ups like the flyers and Bruins.

I was never worried about this series. The rangers are frauds this year plain and simple. The goalie is a choker and the team traded its best playoff player. They have over priced under performing offensive players and one good defensemen they can count on and he is clearly hurt and shying away from contact.

Instead of coming with “stop it” why not come with some real reasons or atleast a fact or two. And i’m a real Flyers fan !

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Ease up there space cadet. Emery has been to a SCF Hankie has not even had a sniff.

• mcphillthy - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Agreed. Don’t get ahead of yourself. This series is no where near over. Flyers just have a nice advantage now

• flyerspsu - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Wouldn’t even go that far

• mcphillthy - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Not even a nice advantage? We have home ice. Plus we haven’t played to full potential. I still say we have a nice advantage now

• flyerspsu - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Its the slightest advantage that will go out the window once NY wins in Philly and then the flyers would have to pull another one out at msg, assuming we even win 2 of the 3 home games

• mcphillthy - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM

You say once they win in phily as if it is going to happen. Oh Ye of little faith….
        As a flyers fan i have learned not to get my hopes up but I always have the faith. The flyers are capable of making a run to the cup.
        If you need references please see St Louis, Chicago, san Jose, and Pittsburgh. I am not saying they will win but if they play a complete and solid game anything is possible.
        Lets go flyers!

• narfmoo12 - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:06 PM

flyerspsu …

• johnstone17 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Hank hasn’t won a play off series yet? Really?

• johnstone17 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Now Hank hasn’t been out of the second round? The Rangers were in the Conference finals two years ago. Wow, we dub you Mr. Hockey !!!!!

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM

“continue to not win a cup or playoff series at all”

Those are your words correct? Why argue with someone who doesn’t know his facts?

8. phillyphannnn83 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Huge!

9. roryflyers - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

4-2 victory, not 3-2. Come on guys.

10. djshnooks - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

My God, how do people get jobs doing this stuff? Has anyone heard of editing your work? Florio is bad enough as it is.

Even places like ESPN have amateur writing, I just cannot come to understand it.

Have some pride in what you do, people!

• renberg19 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Dude, I’m sure you never make a mistake when you work.

11. mcphillthy - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Big win for the flyers. The streak is over and now that is out of their heads. I was happy to see razor settle in and shut the door. Big game. Big win. There is still a lot left to go in this series. Go flyers

12. billiam55 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

flyers played good. but more importantly emery was the difference maker. little shaky in beginning but he got better. rangers gave this one away with bad penalties and sloppy defense.

13. tcclark - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

before the pens fans get on here I want to openly admit that I didnt like the way Giroux played today. There were a number of slashes and times where he was holding the stick that didnt get called. Hes not a dirty player but he played a dirty game today. he needs to calm down, clean up his game, and play the way he knows how. Credit McDonagh and Girardi for getting under his skin. Theyve gotten the better of him the past two games.

• narfmoo12 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

He was +2 with an assist, played 20 hard minutes, and was credited with two takeaways. If that’s what he can do on the road with the Rangers getting last change, I can’t wait for Berube to get him matched up against their third pair.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Huh??? You smoking out for 4-20 today? What game were you watching?

14. phillyphanatic77 - Apr 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM

This game was beyond the point of being “much needed”, another loss at MSG and that monkey on their back may have reached a level of no return (in this series). The Flyers won puck battles, skated hard, and did an excellent job keeping their sticks in shooting and passing lanes. It also helped a ton that Lundqvist was unusually shaky in net. Thank you Razor for not falling apart! And still, like all season, too many penalties.

Now does Mason start game 3? Emery has been solid but I still go back to the workhorse that got you here. Also anyone think Akeson looks a lot like Giroux? Not saying he’ll ever come close to his level (may never even be a full-time NHLer), but his size/body type, semi-questionable speed (stride in general is similar), determination, and offensive creativeness all look very reminiscent of G.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:50 AM

I totally agree with your assessment. They looked awesome out there in all aspects of the game. I’m glad someone see’s it the same way I do with akeson. He’s got that Giroux creativeness to him an the way he carrys himself. He’s been training with G during the off season for a few years now an have become real close. I’ve been comparing him to the likes of Giroux all year. Im in no way saying hes the next giroux but he’s got potential to be real good. I really like his style of play an been pushing for this kid all year after seeing him play with the phantoms. He’s been killing it down there an has earned his spot. I hope he becomes permanent cause he’s makin that third line even more of a offensive threat. Great way to bounce back from that penalty he took in the last game, he looked awesome out there

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I was never really a huge fan of him bc I heard all the time how he’s a one dimensional, small player who isn’t physical enough. But it seems to me that he atleast puts out consistent effort in the defensive zone. And when you’re playing with great two-way guys like Couturier and Read you don’t need to be Patrice Bergeron out there. I really like his determination. Even with the double-minor he was prob the Flyers best player in game 1 and obviously made up for it in game 2. Plus anyone who can put up those kinds of point totals with that Phantoms team atleast deserves a look.

He looks to me like maybe a poor mans combo of Briere/Giroux (that was a Danny type playoff goal he scored), it’s just his ceiling that’s the big question mark. He could be the next Patrick Sharp, come out of nowhere player (highly unlikely) or a career AHLer… it’s really a big question mark.

15. johnstone17 - Apr 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

After the ten minute mark of the first period, the Flyers were the better team. Period, chapter, verse.

• barkar942 - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Absolutely correct. Rangers came out strong then thought they were going to coast. It takes 60 minutes of all out effort to win. Rangers played 10 today.

16. courtjester1234 - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Way to show up tonight. Party at Roxys in the BHP. Bobbie and Bernie are buyin the suds. The rangers aren’t out of this yet boys. You know they’ve been a thorn in the side since the broadway smurfs days. They need to set the tone early in game 3 and stop falling behind. They have the better d and goalie on paper but I say papers are for pot heads. Now let’s roll out the orange and black carpet for our friends in ny and send them home for the summer or at be at least up 3-2 going back to MGS… That is where they played today according to this story

• bigdong28 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The best you could do is go back to MSG up 3-1 LOL

17. therealtrenches - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Dadoun wrote: “The New York Rangers were dominate early, but the Flyers battled back to earn a 3-2 victory that tied this series at 1-1.”

I write: I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but as several commenters pointed out before the error in the headline was fixed, you guys are supposed to be professionals.

The word “dominate” is a verb, as in “The Rangers usually *dominate* the Flyers.” The word you’re looking for above is the adjective, “dominant,” as in “The Rangers were dominant early…”. The two are not interchangeable.

People who get paid to write should know better.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I missed that ‘dominate’ in the text. Actually, that isn’t the first time that word was used instead of the correct ‘dominant.’ A couple of weeks ago, I saw it, noted it, and it was corrected in an article. Can’t remember who wrote that article. I honestly don’t think they know the difference.

Still hasn’t corrected the score (4 – 2) in the text.

I thought the original headline was a scream: Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally with at MGS

In all fairness, these are bloggers, most likely without proofreaders. No excuse; but, Dadoun has written what appear to be 13 articles since 9 o’clock this morning. Accuracy suffers over time.

18. President Charles Logan - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I have not been that impressed with the Rangers at even strength . Flyers bounced back strong , give em credit .

19. bleedrangerblue - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Look flyer fans. Rangers will win this series. Sorry to burst your bubble. Yesterday you had flyers getting swept. I’ve also read how Emery sucks. Make up your mind…

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Henrik is a paper tiger my friend. He has looked like crap both games. He should stick to GQ covers and Advil commercials….He’ll need the Advil in the next week.

20. bleedrangerblue - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM

@logan Rangers had no speed today.

• President Charles Logan - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM

yeah ur right they did seem sluggish a bit. marty st louis is finding open spaces and shooting more thats a good sign if he gets in on the action!!

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM

And no goaltending either.

• johnstone17 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Your Flyers haven’t had goaltending since Parent !!!!!

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Yawns….You haven’t had it since Richter.

21. sndflyers - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I’m not gonna sit on here and talk trash all night but so far this series has been everything both us Flyers fans and Rangers fan thought it would be. However, the Rangers were diving all over the ice today and frankly it was embarrassing. It seems like In the first two games every time were checking the rags they are falling to the ice and grabbing there face. The refs were clearly bias towards NY and they still had to call 2 embellishment penalties. I’m not saying the Rangers are a bad team but there’s no place for that type of Crap. It’s disgraceful. Go flyers!

22. President Charles Logan - Apr 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

i cant stand the refereeing anymore they call every lil thing .. too much

23. phillysports1 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Rangers Fans are sick to their stomach right now knowing series is tied coming back to Philly ! It’s over

24. mackattack29 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I’m an avs fan so have no dog in this fight but man has this series been fun to watch. Just two teams with incredibly passionate fan bases and even more passionate teams.

25. bleedrangerblue - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Sick to my stomach? Hardly. The flyers are a good team. Remember we are a great Road team. You guys won game 2. That’s it. It’s tied. Best of 5…

26. bleedrangerblue - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM

The only thing that makes me sick to my stomach is the fact that Michael Vick is on the Jets. Hate it…

• rtlemon21 - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

What a joke. I think I speak for most Eagles fans when I say that I’d rather have Vick on my team instead of Sanchez. I’d like to see Vick holding a clipboard on our sidelines rather than “Butt-Fumble.” I think the Jets won on the backup QB switch.

27. phillysports1 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM

OK, but don’t forget we are a GREAT HOME TEAM. Lets let the game do the talking.. To pull away with at least one W in msg it’s all flyers fans need.

28. phillysports1 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM

How are you sick about that ? I thought that was a good pick up but ok lol.

29. phillysports1 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

^ sounds good anyway LOL

30. hockeyfan763 - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM

@gomybirdsgo……Lundquist has never been out of the second round ? Conference finals just a few years back v.s. the Devils ring a bell ? I wish you wrote more facts and less of your uninformed opinion, or just stop commenting period.

31. jaybyrd99 - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

and where is rick nash??? the guy has 1 goal in 14 ranger playoff games. as much as I hate to say it ,good win by philly today. they had their backs to the wall and came back strong. emery was brilliant in the second period.got to give props when it’s due.looking forward to game 3

32. kastout11 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Nice win for the Flyers. I was hopeful Philly would bring it back home with a split and a healthy Mason between the pipes on Tuesday. I definitely think Berube should go back to Mason, even though Emery has been solid so far. Mason is the #1 in Philly. It was also nice to see Akeson have a nice bounce back game and get a PP goal. Even though we are Philly fans, I would like to think we think more about the goal yesterday then the penalty on Thursday. G also had a nice game, still no shots on goal, but he was all over the ice and was physical. He got a little frustrated, but you can understand that when every time you get on the ice, you are going to see McDonaugh and Girardi.

33. theref55 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM

62 comments and none from Toiletclown… Oh where is he hiding? Amazing when the Flyers win he goes hiding.

• laxman1944 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM

FLUSH

oops……sorry….saw Toilet and could not help myself

34. cantstandstupid - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:42 AM

It was a great win, but they can’t take as many penalties as they did yesterday. I think the refs helped them out calling a few matching minors against the Rangers, but giving them 6 PP is way too much. Glad to see the Flyers bounce back after a slow start. Can’t wait to go to the game tomorrow!!!

GO FLYERS!!!

35. jimeejohnson - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Elmer: good game!

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches