Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
When the New York Rangers took a 2-0 lead in the first period and seemed to be on the verge of a 2-0 series lead, the Philadelphia Flyers had a ready-made excuse: Steve Mason was out. As usual, things aren’t that simple in the Flyers net, as Ray Emery bounced back nicely for the 4-2 win.
Cue the drama, then, as the question immediately became about goaltending even in the good times. Precisely, plenty of people wondered if the Flyers should go with Emery even if Mason is good to go against the Rangers in Game 3.
Flyers head coach Craig Berube left the question open to debate after the Game 2 victory, as ESPN reports.
“I’m not really thinking that far ahead,” Berube said.
As weak a 2013-14 season as Emery has had, the 31-year-old isn’t far removed from a fantastic campaign as a backup with the Chicago Blackhawks. He also has more playoff experience than Mason, 25, if that means something to you.
It’s clear that Emery has the Flyers’ respect, whether he’s in net in Game 3 or not.
“He’s a battler. Always has been,” said Berube. “I’ve known Ray for a while. We had him here before. He stayed with it. He’s very good at that. He’s a true pro.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)