Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
When the New York Rangers took a 2-0 lead in the first period and seemed to be on the verge of a 2-0 series lead, the Philadelphia Flyers had a ready-made excuse: Steve Mason was out. As usual, things aren’t that simple in the Flyers net, as Ray Emery bounced back nicely for the 4-2 win.
Cue the drama, then, as the question immediately became about goaltending even in the good times. Precisely, plenty of people wondered if the Flyers should go with Emery even if Mason is good to go against the Rangers in Game 3.
Flyers head coach Craig Berube left the question open to debate after the Game 2 victory, as ESPN reports.
“I’m not really thinking that far ahead,” Berube said.
As weak a 2013-14 season as Emery has had, the 31-year-old isn’t far removed from a fantastic campaign as a backup with the Chicago Blackhawks. He also has more playoff experience than Mason, 25, if that means something to you.
It’s clear that Emery has the Flyers’ respect, whether he’s in net in Game 3 or not.
“He’s a battler. Always has been,” said Berube. “I’ve known Ray for a while. We had him here before. He stayed with it. He’s very good at that. He’s a true pro.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)