Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
When the New York Rangers took a 2-0 lead in the first period and seemed to be on the verge of a 2-0 series lead, the Philadelphia Flyers had a ready-made excuse: Steve Mason was out. As usual, things aren’t that simple in the Flyers net, as Ray Emery bounced back nicely for the 4-2 win.
Cue the drama, then, as the question immediately became about goaltending even in the good times. Precisely, plenty of people wondered if the Flyers should go with Emery even if Mason is good to go against the Rangers in Game 3.
Flyers head coach Craig Berube left the question open to debate after the Game 2 victory, as ESPN reports.
“I’m not really thinking that far ahead,” Berube said.
As weak a 2013-14 season as Emery has had, the 31-year-old isn’t far removed from a fantastic campaign as a backup with the Chicago Blackhawks. He also has more playoff experience than Mason, 25, if that means something to you.
It’s clear that Emery has the Flyers’ respect, whether he’s in net in Game 3 or not.
“He’s a battler. Always has been,” said Berube. “I’ve known Ray for a while. We had him here before. He stayed with it. He’s very good at that. He’s a true pro.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)