Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
One can debate whether the Tampa Bay Lightning are victims of bad luck, but there’s no denying that their season is now on the line. The Montreal Canadiens won Game 3 by a score of 3-2 on Sunday, giving themselves a commanding 3-0 lead in the series.
As it turns out, Lindback was often excellent on Sunday, but his adamant effort wasn’t enough tonight.
Speaking of admirable hard work still falling short, Steven Stamkos shook off a scary spill in the second period to play – and even generate an assist – in the final frame. He finished the night with helpers on both Lightning goals. Here’s one more look at that scary fall:
It’s easy to gravitate toward the Lightning’s lousy luck, especially considering this disallowed goal:
Still, that takes a lot of the deserved credit from the Habs, who are one win away from some rest and a sweep. P.K. Subban stood out along with Bourque, dazzling with this assist on Brendan Gallagher‘s goal:
I know a lot of the post-game talk will be about the officials, but that was a statement game from PK Subban.—
Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) April 21, 2014
Tomas Plekanec ended up notching the game-winner with an assist from Gallagher.
For all the adversity the Lightning have fought off in the regular season, they now need to win four games in a row to avoid a first-round exit. The odds certainly look long right now – especially if Stamkos can’t play once the adrenaline wears off – as they’ll attempt to salvage their season beginning with Game 4 on Tuesday.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)