Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
One can debate whether the Tampa Bay Lightning are victims of bad luck, but there’s no denying that their season is now on the line. The Montreal Canadiens won Game 3 by a score of 3-2 on Sunday, giving themselves a commanding 3-0 lead in the series.
As it turns out, Lindback was often excellent on Sunday, but his adamant effort wasn’t enough tonight.
Speaking of admirable hard work still falling short, Steven Stamkos shook off a scary spill in the second period to play – and even generate an assist – in the final frame. He finished the night with helpers on both Lightning goals. Here’s one more look at that scary fall:
It’s easy to gravitate toward the Lightning’s lousy luck, especially considering this disallowed goal:
Still, that takes a lot of the deserved credit from the Habs, who are one win away from some rest and a sweep. P.K. Subban stood out along with Bourque, dazzling with this assist on Brendan Gallagher‘s goal:
Tomas Plekanec ended up notching the game-winner with an assist from Gallagher.
For all the adversity the Lightning have fought off in the regular season, they now need to win four games in a row to avoid a first-round exit. The odds certainly look long right now – especially if Stamkos can’t play once the adrenaline wears off – as they’ll attempt to salvage their season beginning with Game 4 on Tuesday.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)