Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
After losing a tight Game 1 thanks to a nice Pavel Datsyuk 1-0 goal, the Boston Bruins raced out to an early 2-0 lead in Game 2 and cruised to a 4-1 win on Sunday, tying their first-round series 1-1 with the Detroit Red Wings in the process.
The Bruins generated that early lead thanks to firsts as Justin Florek and Reilly Smith scored for Boston. (It was a big Sunday for the Smith family, as Brendan challenged Zdeno Chara to end the first period.)
After the Bruins’ strong start, the Red Wings dominated much of the second period, yet the teams traded goals as Milan Lucic matched Luke Glendening‘s efforts. (Those who wanted a Lucic suspension probably bristled.)
A power-play goal from Chara basically locked it up at 4-1 in the third period, giving the Bruins a win that’s relatively easy (at least compared to these early 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs games).
The series now shifts to Detroit tied 1-1. All things considered, the Red Wings are probably glad to split the first two games against the Bruins (who won the Presidents’ Trophy this season). Many believed that this could be a much tougher series than the usual top vs. bottom seed fair, and even with two very different games in mind, that could very well be the case.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)