Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EST

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third

Dec 28, 2014, 8:09 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Florida’s breathing down Toronto’s neck in the East standings.

2. Leafs lose Panik to upper-body injury

Dec 28, 2014, 7:05 PM EST

richardp Getty Images

There are some concussion concerns.

3. All Varlamov: Avalanche send Pickard to AHL

Dec 28, 2014, 6:25 PM EST

Calvin Pickard AP

Reto Berra might not see much action going forward.

4. Report: Blues’ Elliott medically cleared to play

Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 PM EST

Brian Elliott Brian Elliott

Has been out of St. Louis’ lineup since Nov. 25.

5. Carter Ashton returns to Leafs’ lineup

Dec 28, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

carterashtongetty Getty Images

Playing for the first time since Nov. 4

6. Report: Blackhawks’ Richards to return Monday

Dec 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST

Winnipeg Jets v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Has missed three games with an upper body injury.

7. Letang, Hornqvist miss Pens’ practice

Dec 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

The forward will miss a few weeks with a lower body injury.

8. Leafs place Komarov on IR (Updated)

Dec 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Recalled goaltender Christopher Gibson from AHL.

9. Islanders activate Halak from IR

Dec 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders Getty Images

Kevin Poulin returned to Bridgeport.

10. Predators place Derek Roy on waivers

Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Derek Roy Derek Roy

Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.

11. Steve Ott offers advice for Stars’ Ryan Garbutt

Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

ryangarbuttgetty Getty Images

The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.

12. Canucks recall defenseman Sanguinetti from Utica

Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST

Arizona Coyotes v Vancouver Canucks Arizona Coyotes v Vancouver Canucks

Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.

13. Video: Red-hot power play key to Kings’ recent success

Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST

Darryl Sutter AP

Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.

14. Lucic: Players have to step up for struggling Bruins

Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST

Milan Lucic Michel Cormier AP

Some controversy in this game, too.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches