Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EST

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH LIVE: Wild at Predators on NBCSN

Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Nashville Predators v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.

2. Firing talk doesn’t bother Bruins’ Julien

Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.

3. Report: NHL investigated alleged Clutterbuck spit on Sedin

Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST

New York Rangers v New York Islanders New York Rangers v New York Islanders

Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.

4. Blackhawks deny rumors of locker room fight

Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”

5. Trade: Leafs re-acquire Brennan, send Abbott to ‘Hawks

Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Toronto Marlies Getty Images

A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.

6. Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils

Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST

Jaromir Jagr Sightings In Prague Getty Images

Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.

7. Kings to unveil Luc Robitaille statue outside Staples

Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST

2012 NHL Stanley Cup Final – Game Six Getty Images

Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.

8. Welcome back: Blues re-acquire Cracknell from Columbus

Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST

Florida Panthers v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.

9. Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market

Feb 26, 2015, 3:04 PM EST

Washington Capitals head coach Barry Trotz Getty Images

“People are getting excited for mid-range players.”

10. Still no deal between Williams and cap-strapped Kings

Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

JustinWilliams Getty Images

But, his agent says the organization has “respected our position of leaving negotiations until after the season.”

11. Roy ‘would be surprised’ if O’Reilly is traded

Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM EST

Ryan O'Reilly Getty Images

“We would love to have him as an Av for a long time.”

12. Lack, not Markstrom, to start for Canucks in Buffalo

Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM EST

Eddie Lack, Jacob Markstrom AP

Willie Desjardins, playing it safe.

Trade deadline storylines to watch
Top 10 NHL Player Searches