Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

2. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

3. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

4. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

5. Habs re-sign deadline pickup Flynn: two years, $1.9 million

Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.

6. Florida waives Boyes for buyout purposes

Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Florida Panthers Getty Images

33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.

7. Hurricanes to buy out Semin

Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Six goals in 57 games last season.

8. What character concerns? Treliving has ‘slept like a baby’ since Hamilton trade

Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT

Dougie Hamilton Getty Images

“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “

9. ‘Hawks sign No. 3 goalie Leighton to one-year extension

Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT

Michael Leighton, Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.

10. Report: Isles, Hickey closing in three-year pact around $6.5M

Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT

thomashickeygetty Getty Images

26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.

11. Lightning, Sustr agree on two-year extension

Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Andrej Sustr Getty Images

It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.

12. Lehtonen, Niemi see benefit in splitting goalie duties

Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT

Kari Lehtonen Getty Images

They both finished in the top 10 in minutes in 2014-15.

13. Caps’ Wey retires at 24 due to concussions

Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT

Patrick Wey Getty Images

He made his NHL debut during the 2013-14 campaign before his career was derailed.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches