Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Top prospect Virtanen signs with Canucks

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Jake Virtanen AP

Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

2. NHL veteran Jason Williams returning to North America

Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT

Jason Williams Getty Images

He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.

3. Moser wants pay raise to stick with Preds

Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

Simon Moser Getty Images

He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.

4. Gillis’ daughter: Criticism was hard to ignore

Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

Mike Gillis AP

In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.

5. Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million

Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT

DETROIT, MI - MARCH 18: James Reimer #34 of the Toronto Maple Leafs skates back to the net after a time out during the second period of the game against the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena on March 18, 2014 in Detroit, Michigan. The Red Wings defeated the Maple Leafs 3-2. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images) Getty Images

He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.

6. Fedotenko’s goal ‘is to play in the NHL next year,’ says agent

Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Ruslan Fedotenko #26 of the Philadelphia Flyers clears the puck in the third period against the New York Rangers on March 5, 2013 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.The New York Rangers defeated the Philadelphia Flyers 4-2.
(March 4, 2013 - Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.

7. Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal

Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

joshgorgesgetty Getty Images

“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”

8. Coyotes have high hopes for Gagner after ‘tough couple of years’ in Edmonton

Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”

9. Habs’ St. Pierre heads back to KHL

Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

MartinStPierre Getty Images

But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.

10. Methot’s new deal with Sens ‘going to be multi-year’

Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

MarcMethot Getty Images

“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”

11. Detroit re-signs Ferraro: one year, $550,000

Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT

LandonFerraro Getty Images

The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

12. Deschamps agrees to terms with Finnish squad

Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Nicolas Deschamps Getty Images

He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.

13. ‘Hawks 2011 first-round pick Danault told to emulate Kruger

Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT

Phillip Danault Getty Images

In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center

14. Julien points to Eriksson as answer to Iginla departure

Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT

louierikssongetty Getty Images

Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.

15. Booth eager to prove he ‘can play in this League again’

Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - OCTOBER 24: David Booth #7 of the Vancouver Canucks skates against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on October 24, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey. The Canucks defeated the Devils 3-2 in the shootout. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.

16. Jets re-sign Ellerby despite not qualifying him

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Keaton Ellerby Getty Images

He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches