Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’

Aug 20, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT

Joe Thornton Getty Images

Patrick Marleau can coach him through it.

2. Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format

Aug 20, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Bill Daly lottery Getty Images

It’s not as good to be the worst anymore.

3. Under Pressure: Steve Mason

Aug 20, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

stevemasongetty Getty Images

How will he handle the weight of expectation?

4. After ‘humbling summer,’ Del Zotto aims to bolster Flyers’ D

Aug 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Michael Del Zotto Getty Images

“I’m confident in myself and confident I can get back to where I used to be.”

5. Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes

Aug 20, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

Kevin Hayes Getty Images

He’ll be reunited with former Boston College teammate Chris Kreider in New York.

6. Looking to make the leap: Shayne Gostisbehere

Aug 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Shayne Gostisbehere Getty Images

The college star could push to make Philly’s blue line right away.

7. NHL concussion lawsuits to be consolidated

Aug 20, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT

Gary Bettman, Bill Daly AP

And assigned to a U.S. District Judge in Minnesota.

8. It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT

Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Jakub Voracek,  Vincent Lecavalier , Claude Giroux AP

They hope to improve on their first round loss to the Rangers.

9. Sens’ Karlsson will accept captaincy if offered

Aug 19, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Erik Karlsson AP

He’s not going out of his way for it, however.

10. Fanspeak: Messier voted greatest Ranger in franchise history

Aug 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Mark Messier Getty Images

You earn a lot of votes winning a Stanley Cup.

11. Under pressure: Rick Nash

Aug 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Rick Nash Getty Images

He had a down season and worse playoffs last year.

12. Looking to make the leap: J.T. Miller

Aug 19, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

JT MIller

Can the former 15th overall pick establish himself as a full-time NHLer?

13. Senators sign MacArthur to five-year, $23.25 million extension

Aug 19, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Clarke MacArthur Getty Images

He was second on the team in goals last season.

14. Numbers game: Leafs hire assistant to GM, analytics team

Aug 19, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

Brendan Shanahan; Tim Leiweke; Dave Nonis AP

Capology and Corsi gone wild in Toronto.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches