Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Sens agree with Lehner on three-year, $6.675 million contract

Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Robin Lehner AP

Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.

2. Price (knee) won’t start skating ’til mid-August

Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Carey Price AP

But he also won’t require surgery.

3. 1st-rounders Vrana (Caps), Pastrnak (B’s) highlight Czech WJC team

Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

2014 NHL Draft - Round 1 Getty Images

They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.

4. Report: New Jersey re-signs Timmins

Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Florida Panthers St. Louis Blues v Florida Panthers

Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.

5. Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D

Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT

PK Subban Getty Images

“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”

6. NHL hit with another concussion lawsuit

Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

bettmangetty Getty Images

This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.

7. Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension

Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.

8. Contract talks stalled between Kuemper, Wild

Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Darcy Kuemper AP

“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”

9. New Red Wings assistant ‘couldn’t be happier’ to get opportunity to work under Babcock

Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

Tri City Americans v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.

10. Not ready to hang ‘em up? Selanne considering return to Jokerit

Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT

Teemu Selanne of Finland (8) takes a victory lap around the ice with his medal after he men's bronze medal ice hockey game at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, in Sochi, Russia. Finland defeated the United States 5-0. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum) AP

Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.

11. Habs add Lacroix and Ramage to coaching staff

Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Boston Bruins - Game One Getty Images

That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.

12. Red Wings hire two more coaches for Babcock’s staff

Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Mike Babcock Getty Images

Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.

13. Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million

Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

P.K. Subban AP

Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?

14. PHT Morning Skate: Dustin Brown vs. the FedEx delivery guy

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Dustin Brown Getty Images

Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches