Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EST

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza

Jan 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Alexei Emelin. Alexei Emelin.

Received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding.

2. Stars’ Nichushkin begins skating

Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EST

Valeri Nichushkin Valeri Nichushkin

The 19-year-old underwent hip surgery in November.

3. Video: Mason replaces Emery in the Flyers net

Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST

Steve Mason AP

The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.

4. Report: Canucks take Markstrom off the market

Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM EST

Jacob Markstrom Jacob Markstrom

Jim Benning was “exploring” a trade for the goaltender.

5. WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Hurricanes (7:30 p.m. ET)

Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM EST

J.T. Brown, Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Drouin AP

Tampa has won both meetings between the two clubs this season.

6. Coyotes could give Domi his NHL debut this season, says Maloney

Jan 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EST

Phoenix Coyotes v Vancouver Canucks Phoenix Coyotes v Vancouver Canucks

“There’s a potential even to bring him to Arizona for at least a cup of coffee at the end of the year.”

7. Isles begin life without Okposo, but get Grabovski back tonight

Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST

Mikhail Grabovski, Lubomir Visnovsky, Kyle Okposo Mikhail Grabovski, Lubomir Visnovsky, Kyle Okposo

He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.

8. The Wild don’t want to stress themselves out thinking about the standings

Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST

Dallas Stars v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

“We know what the standings look like. That’s no secret. But we can’t make up all those points this week.”

9. Report: Oilers owner tried to use Hamilton as leverage in arena negotiations

Jan 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EST

Daryl Katz Getty Images

We already knew he tried to use Seattle for the same purpose.

10. Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated)

Jan 27, 2015, 1:23 PM EST

Martin Brodeur Getty Images

And so ends one of the most storied goaltending careers in NHL history.

11. Sens waive Greening

Jan 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EST

Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America Getty Images

After failing to find a trade partner for the 28-year-old.

12. Mike Richards clears waivers

Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Mike Richards Getty Images

Your move, Los Angeles.

Who will excite most in All-Star game?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches