Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Wild hire ex-Oilers goalie coach Chabot

Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers Headshots Getty Images

Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.

2. Flames ‘haven’t been able to find something’ with still-unsigned Ferland

Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT

ferland Getty Images

In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.

3. Ex-NHLer Peat pleads guilty to arson

Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Stephen Peat skates Getty Images

He could face up to five years in prison.

4. Report: Pens’ owners seeking $750 million for sale of team

Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Mario Lemieux Getty Images

It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.

5. Oilers, Flames AHL affiliates to play outdoor game

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

gshr_raley

Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.

6. Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Patrick Kane

As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.

7. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

8. Blackhawks sign Nordstrom to a one-year deal

Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.

9. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

10. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

11. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

12. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

13. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches