Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

Latest Posts
  1. Canucks’ Bieksa penalized for illegal check to the head

Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?

2. NHL bringing back draft pick compensation this offseason for hiring away coaches, GMs

Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.

3. Contract stalemate continues between Columbus, prized prospect Reilly

Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

2014 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Semifinals Getty Images

University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.

4. Bettman shoots down idea of renaming NHL awards

Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT

2014 NHL Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.

5. Versteeg misses Kane

Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Chicago Blackhawks Toronto Maple Leafs v Chicago Blackhawks

Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”

6. Pressure’s on the Jets, who don’t want to blow it now

Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.

7. Despite trend of visitors winning Game 7, Laviolette wants home ice for Preds

Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Peter Laviolette AP

“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”

8. Goalie nods: Hamburglar goes for Ottawa

Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

Andrew Hammond Andrew Hammond

News and notes from around the crease…

9. Report: BC standout Matheson to sign with Panthers, forgo senior year

Mar 31, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT

Frozen Fenway 2014: Notre Dame v Boston College Getty Images

He was Florida’s first-round pick (23rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

10. Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack

Mar 31, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

This after his team, Rogle, terminated his contract on Monday.

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches