Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
As expected, there aren’t many specifics regarding the condition of St. Louis Blues captain David Backes, particularly if he’ll be able to play in Game 3. Even so, Blues head coach Ken Hitchock’s vague update probably says a lot:
Other than that, Hitchcock was careful to avoid the kind of comments that might draw a fine.
While it might slip under the radar thanks to the higher profile hit by Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook, Hitchcock also expressed concern about Vladimir Sobotka‘s knee after a collision with ‘Hawks forward Bryan Bickell.
Injury-wise, Hitch said that he was equally concerned about Sobotka after he was kneed by Bickell. "Break of a lifetime," he said.—
Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) April 19, 2014
Seabrook defended the check he delivered, but Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville avoided making a comment; he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he hasn’t had time to analyze the hit just yet.
Not surprisingly, Blues such as Alex Pietrangelo expressed their displeasure in ways that their coach could not.
However both teams – not to mention the league – feel about that blow on Backes, NHL.com’s Lou Korac reports that it was a motivational moment for the Blues.
“As soon as that hit happened, we’re like, ‘We’re winning this for him,’” Chris Porter said.
It remains to be seen if Backes will be healthy enough and if Seabrook will be suspended through Game 3, which takes on Monday in Chicago.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)