Apr 19, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT
Dallas defenseman Sergei Gonchar took issue with Andrew Cogliano‘s game-winning goal in Friday’s 3-2 loss to Anaheim, saying the Ducks forward should’ve been whistled for a penalty prior to scoring his shorthanded marker.
“We had a good chance to tie this game,” Gonchar said, per the Dallas Morning-News. “I think the referee missed that penalty, on me, behind the net. In my opinion we should have been 5-on-3.”
Here’s the play in question, complete with Lindy Ruff’s animated reaction:
Gonchar probably has a legitimate beef here — aside from Cogliano’s slash breaking his stick (which is often criteria for a whistle), the incident occurred with Anaheim in the offensive zone and led directly to a scoring chance.
That said, there were a number of infractions that didn’t get called — both ways — in the third period. Ducks forward Mathieu Perreault got caught with a fairly blatant high stick to the face from Dallas’ Colton Sceviour in the final frame that also went uncalled.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)