Apr 19, 2014, 1:57 AM EST
Dallas defenseman Sergei Gonchar took issue with Andrew Cogliano‘s game-winning goal in Friday’s 3-2 loss to Anaheim, saying the Ducks forward should’ve been whistled for a penalty prior to scoring his shorthanded marker.
“We had a good chance to tie this game,” Gonchar said, per the Dallas Morning-News. “I think the referee missed that penalty, on me, behind the net. In my opinion we should have been 5-on-3.”
Here’s the play in question, complete with Lindy Ruff’s animated reaction:
Gonchar probably has a legitimate beef here — aside from Cogliano’s slash breaking his stick (which is often criteria for a whistle), the incident occurred with Anaheim in the offensive zone and led directly to a scoring chance.
That said, there were a number of infractions that didn’t get called — both ways — in the third period. Ducks forward Mathieu Perreault got caught with a fairly blatant high stick to the face from Dallas’ Colton Sceviour in the final frame that also went uncalled.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)