Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EST
Remember when people were worried that Corey Crawford – particularly his supposedly faulty glove hand – was going to submarine the Chicago Blackhawks’ championship hopes last year? That narrative died down as he was often strong in wrapping up a Stanley Cup victory in 2012-13, yet he’s the one criticizing himself after two straight heartbreaking losses to the St. Louis Blues.
Crawford was particularly self-critical when discussing the goal that sent Game 2 into overtime, as he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“I have to find a way to make that save and our guys need me to make a save at the end,” Crawford said. “That’s pretty much not acceptable. We’re not going to win if I play like that. I have to be better.”
Here’s the Vladimir Tarasenko goal that left Crawford soul searching:
It might not be the only rough moment for Crawford, 29, as Kevin Shattenkirk was surprisingly candid about the Blackhawks netminder being “way out of position” on this buzzer-beater:
That’s two goals in the last 10 seconds of periods in Game 2. To get back in this series, Chicago needs to protect late leads and Crawford needs to start making those big stops.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)