Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Remember when people were worried that Corey Crawford – particularly his supposedly faulty glove hand – was going to submarine the Chicago Blackhawks’ championship hopes last year? That narrative died down as he was often strong in wrapping up a Stanley Cup victory in 2012-13, yet he’s the one criticizing himself after two straight heartbreaking losses to the St. Louis Blues.
Crawford was particularly self-critical when discussing the goal that sent Game 2 into overtime, as he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“I have to find a way to make that save and our guys need me to make a save at the end,” Crawford said. “That’s pretty much not acceptable. We’re not going to win if I play like that. I have to be better.”
Here’s the Vladimir Tarasenko goal that left Crawford soul searching:
It might not be the only rough moment for Crawford, 29, as Kevin Shattenkirk was surprisingly candid about the Blackhawks netminder being “way out of position” on this buzzer-beater:
That’s two goals in the last 10 seconds of periods in Game 2. To get back in this series, Chicago needs to protect late leads and Crawford needs to start making those big stops.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 23
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 32
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)