Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets are currently engaged in a tense overtime battle with the Pittsburgh Penguins, and they’re doing so without defenseman Fedor Tyutin.
The experienced blueliner hasn’t been on the ice for the Blue Jackets since the first period, which is not a great sign considering the fact that the two teams just finished their fourth of the night. The Blue Jackets haven’t been forthcoming with details like every other playoff team, so we’ll need to stick with educated guesses:
The Blue Jackets are likely to miss Tyutin, 30, more as this game goes along. While he’s seen his role diminish this season (he’s averaged 21:25 minutes per game in 2013-14 after logging more than 24 per night the past two campaigns). he’s still a reliable defenseman for a franchise that has literally never been in this position before.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40