Apr 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Patrick Roy’s aggressive tactics against the Minnesota Wild are part of the reason his young team has rallied behind him this season.
“All people see are the antics behind the bench, but we see what kind of guy he is, how he’s always supporting us, how he’s never negative,” McGinn said. “We want to play for a guy like that. It shows in how hard and consistent we’ve been all year. We want to make him proud and we want to make the guys in the room proud, too.”
Sounds like Roy is the ideal kind of father-figure to play for. After all, Roy put many years coaching in the QMJHL with the Quebec Remparts and being that sort of supportive coach is needed at that level.
Add in the fact Avs captain Gabriel Landeskog said he “loved” that they pulled the goalie with as much time left as they did and you’ve got a team that will go all out for you.
Who knew that being an aggressively supportive guy would work in the NHL? Apparently Joe Sakic did when he brought him to Denver.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)