Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Rookie forward Nathan MacKinnon didn’t wilt under the pressure of making his postseason debut. The 18-year-old forward had three assists to help Colorado earn a 5-4 overtime win over Minnesota on Thursday.
His efforts didn’t go unnoticed by Wild coach Mike Yeo, who wants to see his team make an adjustment when playing against MacKinnon in Game 2 on Saturday.
“We didn’t make things hard enough on (MacKinnon) physically last night,” Yeo said, per the team’s Twitter account.
Minnesota had a 4-2 lead going into the third period, but the silver lining for them is that splitting the first two games would put them in a great position, given that the series opened in Colorado.
The Avalanche went from the Western Conference basement to the Central Division title in the span of just one season and vastly exceeded almost everyone’s preseason expectations in the process. This campaign will be seen as a success for them no matter what happens next, but they would certainly like to cement their rise by going on a lengthy playoff run.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)