Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
Rookie forward Nathan MacKinnon didn’t wilt under the pressure of making his postseason debut. The 18-year-old forward had three assists to help Colorado earn a 5-4 overtime win over Minnesota on Thursday.
His efforts didn’t go unnoticed by Wild coach Mike Yeo, who wants to see his team make an adjustment when playing against MacKinnon in Game 2 on Saturday.
“We didn’t make things hard enough on (MacKinnon) physically last night,” Yeo said, per the team’s Twitter account.
Minnesota had a 4-2 lead going into the third period, but the silver lining for them is that splitting the first two games would put them in a great position, given that the series opened in Colorado.
The Avalanche went from the Western Conference basement to the Central Division title in the span of just one season and vastly exceeded almost everyone’s preseason expectations in the process. This campaign will be seen as a success for them no matter what happens next, but they would certainly like to cement their rise by going on a lengthy playoff run.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)