Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EST
It’s the one that got away.
The Minnesota Wild had a two-goal lead heading into the third period of Thursday’s playoff game against the Colorado Avalanche, and came away with a 5-4 overtime loss. The Avalanche now lead the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final 1-0, thanks to a thrilling come-from-behind effort.
Paul Stastny scored the overtime winner, after tying the game with 14 seconds left in regulation time. And how about that 18-year-old rookie Nathan MacKinnon, who had a trio of assists in his Stanley Cup playoff debut?
Coughing up such a lead was a point lamented by Wild players afterward.
The Wild also seem to have taken issue with a call that wasn’t made late in the third period.
Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson, racing back to keep the puck out of the open net, swatted the puck away but then crashed into the goal, knocking it off. Wild forward Matt Cooke fired the puck toward the net, but play had already been blown dead.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)