Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
It’s the one that got away.
The Minnesota Wild had a two-goal lead heading into the third period of Thursday’s playoff game against the Colorado Avalanche, and came away with a 5-4 overtime loss. The Avalanche now lead the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final 1-0, thanks to a thrilling come-from-behind effort.
Paul Stastny scored the overtime winner, after tying the game with 14 seconds left in regulation time. And how about that 18-year-old rookie Nathan MacKinnon, who had a trio of assists in his Stanley Cup playoff debut?
Coughing up such a lead was a point lamented by Wild players afterward.
The Wild also seem to have taken issue with a call that wasn’t made late in the third period.
Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson, racing back to keep the puck out of the open net, swatted the puck away but then crashed into the goal, knocking it off. Wild forward Matt Cooke fired the puck toward the net, but play had already been blown dead.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)