Apr 18, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Not official yet, but it sounds as though the New York Islanders are going to keep the fifth overall pick at this year’s draft and send their 2015 first-rounder — a potential lottery ticket to the Connor McDavid-Jack Eichel sweepstakes — to Buffalo as compensation for the Thomas Vanek trade.
Here’s Newsday’s Arthur Staple:
Indications are that the Islanders will hold onto this year’s pick to either select one of the five top prospects who are fairly equally rated, or trade the pick to acquire a more NHL-ready player.
And here’s SNY.tv, passing along a report from a Thursday night fan forum GM Garth Snow attended on Long Island:
Snow, Doug Weight and other Islanders were at Westbury Manor to meet with fans. According to Rob Del Muro, a producer for News 12 who was in attendance, Snow wouldn’t fully commit to retaining the 2014 pick but it seemed like it was a very likely scenario.
Garth wouldn’t 100% commit but said he would “wager any amount of money that they will retain this years first round pick #isles
— Rob Del Muro (@gmen8069) April 17, 2014
The Isles have until June 1 to notify the Sabres whether they’ll surrender this year’s pick, or defer to next year.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)