Apr 18, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Not official yet, but it sounds as though the New York Islanders are going to keep the fifth overall pick at this year’s draft and send their 2015 first-rounder — a potential lottery ticket to the Connor McDavid-Jack Eichel sweepstakes — to Buffalo as compensation for the Thomas Vanek trade.
Here’s Newsday’s Arthur Staple:
Indications are that the Islanders will hold onto this year’s pick to either select one of the five top prospects who are fairly equally rated, or trade the pick to acquire a more NHL-ready player.
And here’s SNY.tv, passing along a report from a Thursday night fan forum GM Garth Snow attended on Long Island:
Snow, Doug Weight and other Islanders were at Westbury Manor to meet with fans. According to Rob Del Muro, a producer for News 12 who was in attendance, Snow wouldn’t fully commit to retaining the 2014 pick but it seemed like it was a very likely scenario.
Garth wouldn’t 100% commit but said he would “wager any amount of money that they will retain this years first round pick #isles
— Rob Del Muro (@gmen8069) April 17, 2014
The Isles have until June 1 to notify the Sabres whether they’ll surrender this year’s pick, or defer to next year.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)