Apr 18, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Apparently, a fresh start in Montreal is just what Dale Weise needed.
“I just feel like my career got rejuvenated,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “The coaches here believe in me, they’ve had nothing but good things to say about me and look at the amount we were playing in overtime.
“It’s a coach (Michel Therrien) that has some trust in me and that just instills confidence in me. I just feel like every game I play with this team I continue to build confidence and get better.”
Weise’s coach with the Canucks was John Tortorella. The two were also together for a time in New York with the Rangers.
From the Vancouver Sun:
Weise and Tortorella had their problems when both were with the New York Rangers and there had been signs player and coach weren’t always seeing eye to eye in Vancouver.
“I thought I had some good stretches where I played real well,” Weise told Team 1040 radio on Monday. “I think I had my most success when I had the seven games there on the third line. It was easier for me to get in the action and contribute a little more. I was happy with my role in Vancouver and I thought I did it to the best of my ability.”
A good skater, Weise showed signs he could produce offensively while in the AHL, where he scored 57 times in 194 games for Hartford from 2008-11. He also had a rather prolific run — 22 goals and 26 assists in 19 games — while playing in the Netherlands during the lockout.
He looked pretty good scoring Wednesday’s winner, too.
“I got down on one leg, the old Brett Hull, and I just ripped it,” he said.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)