Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville expressed remorse on Friday after making a gesture towards referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock during the second overtime of last night’s 4-3 loss to St. Louis.
Per CSN’s Tracey Myers:
Q apologized for his reaction last night: “It was a bush-league move on my part.” #Blackhawks
— Tracey Myers (@TramyersCSN) April 18, 2014
Quenneville was irate that officials opted not to whistle Kevin Shattenkirk for a delay of game penalty after he appeared to flip the puck over the glass while killing a penalty. The call would’ve given Chicago a 5-on-3 man advantage, but the referees claimed ‘Hawks forward Andrew Shaw also made contact with the puck.
That decision led to this…
In his apology, Quenneville added his gesture “wasn’t very appropriate at all,” but hadn’t heard from the league about possible punishment. Earlier today, it was learned the NHL was looking into the incident.
Quenneville does have a history with getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres–Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
Sep 5, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
Depth is not an issue for them.
Sep 5, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
He excelled in the KHL.
Sep 5, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
He’s Ottawa’s all-time leader in games played.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)