Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Things didn’t exactly go well for Alex Ovechkin during the season for the Washington Capitals or for Team Russia at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, so now he’ll try to find another way to end the season on a winning note.
Yahoo Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports Ovechkin will join the Russian team on April 20 for the 2014 World Championships in Belarus.
Russia will be looking to rebound from last year’s shocking 8-3 quarterfinal loss to the United States at Worlds. Ovechkin has been, if nothing else, a steady participant for his home country when it comes to Worlds. Of course, most of that ties into the lack of success the Capitals have had in the postseason as an early exit there frees him up to play in the IIHF tournament.
Ovechkin won’t be headed to Belarus alone as Caps teammate Evgeny Kuznetsov will also join him on the Russian team. Russia last won gold at Worlds in 2012 when they knocked off Slovakia. Russia has won gold at three of the past six tournaments so they’ve at least got that going for them.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 1
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 15
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)