Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Things didn’t exactly go well for Alex Ovechkin during the season for the Washington Capitals or for Team Russia at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, so now he’ll try to find another way to end the season on a winning note.
Yahoo Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports Ovechkin will join the Russian team on April 20 for the 2014 World Championships in Belarus.
Russia will be looking to rebound from last year’s shocking 8-3 quarterfinal loss to the United States at Worlds. Ovechkin has been, if nothing else, a steady participant for his home country when it comes to Worlds. Of course, most of that ties into the lack of success the Capitals have had in the postseason as an early exit there frees him up to play in the IIHF tournament.
Ovechkin won’t be headed to Belarus alone as Caps teammate Evgeny Kuznetsov will also join him on the Russian team. Russia last won gold at Worlds in 2012 when they knocked off Slovakia. Russia has won gold at three of the past six tournaments so they’ve at least got that going for them.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)