Apr 18, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Just one day after watching his team drop Game 1 against the Rangers, Flyers goalie Steve Mason was on the ice, practicing, and gearing himself up for a possible Game 2 start.
From the CSN Philly:
“I felt pretty good for being on the ice for the first time in a couple days,” Mason said. “It was a good step. I felt great movement wise.”
Can you play in Game 2?
“We still have a couple days before Sunday rolls around, so that’s definitely my goal,” Mason said.
Mason said Flyers management would have to decide on his status. Coach Craig Berube said he’ll make a decision after speaking with all parties later today and what he sees off Saturday’s practice.
“His health is the most important thing,” Berube said. “I’ve said that all along. I talk to him today and see how he feels and talk Jeff Reese the goalie coach and we’ll go from there. He’s going to practice tomorrow.”
Mason has been sidelined by an upper-body injury after a collision with Jayson Megna during last Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh, and missed Thursday’s series-opening loss as a result. Ray Emery was forced into action and allowed four goals on 36 shots, posting a .889 save percentage.
The 31-year-old journeyman was a clear-cut No. 2 in Philly this year, making 28 appearances to Mason’s 61. The Flyers would clearly like to get their No. 1 back in goal, especially given his efforts against the Rangers this season — Mason went 2-1-0 against New York, posting a 2.01 GAA and .937 save percentage.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)