Apr 18, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Just one day after watching his team drop Game 1 against the Rangers, Flyers goalie Steve Mason was on the ice, practicing, and gearing himself up for a possible Game 2 start.
From the CSN Philly:
“I felt pretty good for being on the ice for the first time in a couple days,” Mason said. “It was a good step. I felt great movement wise.”
Can you play in Game 2?
“We still have a couple days before Sunday rolls around, so that’s definitely my goal,” Mason said.
Mason said Flyers management would have to decide on his status. Coach Craig Berube said he’ll make a decision after speaking with all parties later today and what he sees off Saturday’s practice.
“His health is the most important thing,” Berube said. “I’ve said that all along. I talk to him today and see how he feels and talk Jeff Reese the goalie coach and we’ll go from there. He’s going to practice tomorrow.”
Mason has been sidelined by an upper-body injury after a collision with Jayson Megna during last Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh, and missed Thursday’s series-opening loss as a result. Ray Emery was forced into action and allowed four goals on 36 shots, posting a .889 save percentage.
The 31-year-old journeyman was a clear-cut No. 2 in Philly this year, making 28 appearances to Mason’s 61. The Flyers would clearly like to get their No. 1 back in goal, especially given his efforts against the Rangers this season — Mason went 2-1-0 against New York, posting a 2.01 GAA and .937 save percentage.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)