Apr 18, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Just one day after watching his team drop Game 1 against the Rangers, Flyers goalie Steve Mason was on the ice, practicing, and gearing himself up for a possible Game 2 start.
From the CSN Philly:
“I felt pretty good for being on the ice for the first time in a couple days,” Mason said. “It was a good step. I felt great movement wise.”
Can you play in Game 2?
“We still have a couple days before Sunday rolls around, so that’s definitely my goal,” Mason said.
Mason said Flyers management would have to decide on his status. Coach Craig Berube said he’ll make a decision after speaking with all parties later today and what he sees off Saturday’s practice.
“His health is the most important thing,” Berube said. “I’ve said that all along. I talk to him today and see how he feels and talk Jeff Reese the goalie coach and we’ll go from there. He’s going to practice tomorrow.”
Mason has been sidelined by an upper-body injury after a collision with Jayson Megna during last Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh, and missed Thursday’s series-opening loss as a result. Ray Emery was forced into action and allowed four goals on 36 shots, posting a .889 save percentage.
The 31-year-old journeyman was a clear-cut No. 2 in Philly this year, making 28 appearances to Mason’s 61. The Flyers would clearly like to get their No. 1 back in goal, especially given his efforts against the Rangers this season — Mason went 2-1-0 against New York, posting a 2.01 GAA and .937 save percentage.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 31
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)