Mason ‘felt good’ at Flyers practice, aiming to start Game 2

Apr 18, 2014, 1:43 PM EST

Philadelphia Flyers v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Just one day after watching his team drop Game 1 against the Rangers, Flyers goalie Steve Mason was on the ice, practicing, and gearing himself up for a possible Game 2 start.

From the CSN Philly:

“I felt pretty good for being on the ice for the first time in a couple days,” Mason said. “It was a good step. I felt great movement wise.”

Can you play in Game 2?

“We still have a couple days before Sunday rolls around, so that’s definitely my goal,” Mason said.

Mason said Flyers management would have to decide on his status. Coach Craig Berube said he’ll make a decision after speaking with all parties later today and what he sees off Saturday’s practice.

“His health is the most important thing,” Berube said. “I’ve said that all along. I talk to him today and see how he feels and talk Jeff Reese the goalie coach and we’ll go from there. He’s going to practice tomorrow.”

Mason has been sidelined by an upper-body injury after a collision with Jayson Megna during last Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh, and missed Thursday’s series-opening loss as a result. Ray Emery was forced into action and allowed four goals on 36 shots, posting a .889 save percentage.

The 31-year-old journeyman was a clear-cut No. 2 in Philly this year, making 28 appearances to Mason’s 61. The Flyers would clearly like to get their No. 1 back in goal, especially given his efforts against the Rangers this season — Mason went 2-1-0 against New York, posting a 2.01 GAA and .937 save percentage.

1. gnashty - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Mason being back in net would only be a good thing for the Flyers. Unfortunately, Mase won’t be able to help the Flyers score goals and have more puck time. Either way – Go Flyers!

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Emery is a rebound machine second chances will hurt you bad

• gnashty - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM

As I said…. Mase being back in net would only be a good thing for the Flyers. Unfortunately, Maze won’t be able to help the Flyers score goals and have more puck time. Either way – Go Flyers!

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Captain Obvious

• gnashty - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Says the man that gave insight towards “second chances will hurt you bad”

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I gotta admit great comeback ,,touche !

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Iam jonesin for hockey right now,, gonna watch Boston Detroit tonight I really think Detroit could give the big bad Bruins a run for their money maybe not tonight but as the series unfolds ! If the Flyers get back in this series which their far from out of Iam thinking Red Wings Penguins Penguins Red Wings rounds 2 or 3 we got traction ! I f the flyguys need to go through Pens Wings there is a lot of hope !

2. kastout11 - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM

If he is not 100%, I would sit him again. It would be nice to steal home ice in game 2, but if he is not 100%, Philly cannot afford to give away games in this series.

3. barkar942 - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Emery didn’t have too much of a chance on the two PP goals. I doubt Mason would have fared much better on those two. As a Ranger fan, I thought he looked pretty good otherwise.

4. macgrubie - Apr 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Good. I’m not overly optimistic about the series anyway but it’s always good to have each team have their important players. I’m sure most NYR fans agree.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I’m actually pretty optimistic. The Flyers, with probably the exception of Akeson, MacDonald and Coburn just didn’t show up to play, for whatever reason. They weren’t fighting hard in the corners, marking up on their man and were not helping out Emery. Instead of playing a stellar PK like they have all year they had a collective brainfart. The icing on the cake was not trying to recover and fight back like they have all year, they went on a penalty spree.

I have full confidence that they’ll come to play on Sunday.

5. President Charles Logan - Apr 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Carcillo will dress and run Mason into next week

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches