Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks were ready to go. The L.A. Kings, well, not so much.
The Kings fell behind by five goals by the end of the second period, spelling the end to the evening for goalie Jonathan Quick, and resulting in a 6-3 loss. The Sharks lead the best-of-seven first-round series 1-0. If it’s any consolation, the Kings did outhit the Sharks 69-52. So, there’s that.
“When you’re sloppy against a team like that, and they’re good on the forecheck and can cause turnovers when you’re not sharp, they’re going to get a lot of chances. It could have been a lot more. Quickie made some big saves.”
Oh, the play of the Kings goalie.
His game lasted 40 minutes. It wasn’t until the third period began that the team in front of him finally managed to get back into the game, scoring three times to cut San Jose’s lead to 5-3 at one point.
Earlier in the first period, San Jose forward Mike Brown sent Kings’ defenseman Slava Voynov into Quick, resulting in a scrum behind the net. Not the most polite way to welcome the L.A. netminder to the series.
But head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t seem too pleased with the play of Quick, who allowed five goals on 28 shots. On the play of his goalie, Sutter turned his answer to the decision to pull Quick.
“I think I could’ve made the decision earlier,” said Sutter.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 6
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 39
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 20
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 23
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 130
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (130)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)