Apr 18, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
One of the things Boston coach Claude Julien likes about his own Bruins team, he also sees in his first-round opponents, the Detroit Red Wings.
That thing? Layers.
“They play the same way they’ve played forever,” Julien said of the Wings, per the Toronto Sun. “They’ve replaced their injured players with pretty good young ones. The injuries have allowed those young players to develop.
“They move the puck around. They have a good defensive game. They have layers.”
What does Julien mean by layers? Well, here’s what he said last June while the Bruins were shutting down the Penguins in the Eastern Conference Final:
“I think it’s pretty obvious that we have layers. Our guys are committed to come back and just making sure that there’s layer after layer that make it hard for them to get to our net.”
Julien and Wings coach Mike Babcock know each other well, as both were on Team Canada’s coaching staff at the Sochi Olympics.
They’ve probably had a lot of good chats about layers.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)