Apr 18, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
One of the things Boston coach Claude Julien likes about his own Bruins team, he also sees in his first-round opponents, the Detroit Red Wings.
That thing? Layers.
“They play the same way they’ve played forever,” Julien said of the Wings, per the Toronto Sun. “They’ve replaced their injured players with pretty good young ones. The injuries have allowed those young players to develop.
“They move the puck around. They have a good defensive game. They have layers.”
What does Julien mean by layers? Well, here’s what he said last June while the Bruins were shutting down the Penguins in the Eastern Conference Final:
“I think it’s pretty obvious that we have layers. Our guys are committed to come back and just making sure that there’s layer after layer that make it hard for them to get to our net.”
Julien and Wings coach Mike Babcock know each other well, as both were on Team Canada’s coaching staff at the Sochi Olympics.
They’ve probably had a lot of good chats about layers.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)