Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Anders Lindback is 0-2 through two playoff games with a 3.69 goals-against average, a .880 save percentage and was yanked during Friday’s defeat to Montreal — yet according to Bolts head coach Jon Cooper, all’s well in Tampa’s goal.
Jon Cooper says he made the goalie change to spark his team. “We needed something. … There’s no goaltending controversy here.”
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) April 19, 2014
There will undoubtedly be some people disagreeing with Cooper, especially those that saw his move to Kristers Gudlevskis with just under six minutes remaining as a possible series introduction for the Latvian netminder.
Have to think Jon Cooper is setting Kristers Gudlevskis up to start Game 3.
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) April 19, 2014
To be fair, Lindback isn’t to blame for Tampa losing both games at home to start the series. The Lightning were sloppy and made defensive mistakes throughout Game 1 and failed to generate consistent offensive pressure in Game 2, coming within two minutes of being shut out before Teddy Purcell snapped a power play marker past Carey Price to break the goose egg.
That said, it’s clear Tampa isn’t getting the same goaltending it enjoyed during the regular season with Ben Bishop manning the net. The NHL’s tallest netminder put forth a Vezina-caliber season, going 37-14-7 (4th in the NHL in wins) with a 2.23 GAA (7th), .924 save percentage (7th) and five shutouts (5th).
It’ll be very interesting to see if Cooper considers going with Gudlevskis for Game 3. While the 21-year-old is raw and inexperienced, he did wow onlookers at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, nearly orchestrating an upset of Canada in the quarterfinals by stopping 55 of 57 shots in what Price called “one of the best goaltending performances I’ve ever seen in a long time.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)